Respirators - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

View dollis's Photo Album My Photos
Question Respirators

What type of woods do you NEED to use a respirator? Some people that will say “Any wood that you cut”, but I am trying to avoid the nasty woods for now. Until I can afford a good setup, I will just avoid them. I currently have a dust hood connected to a shop-vac and using dust mask now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 09:36 PM

View Jack Giovo's Photo Album My Photos
What you don't see goes into your lungs - I wear mine most of the time - especially when sanding- that stuff goes everywhere.

Ya it is uncomfortable under a face shield but you only got one set of lungs - I also have the dust collector running - it keeps the air clear sucking that dust out of the way.

Jack
post #3 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
I turned without one for the last couple months and finally decided to drop some money on a good mask...Didn't want a respirator. I got a "dust-bee-gone" washable mask and that thing is awesome. It is also very comfortable and doesn't fog my face mask. I thought about $40 was a lot until I priced disposable dust masks, respirators, and filters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Respirators

It would be hard to say,what wood would bother you,as some woods bother some folks and don't bother others.What may not efect me may kill you and thats no joke.So I would get a dust collector and a respirator,ASAP.The best two investments I made since starting working with wood and thats many bucks ago.My lungs and sinuseses thank me every day for it and make me miserable when I don't
Ken
post #5 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 01:24 AM

View CivilEngineer13's Photo Album My Photos
Respirators? How are we to get our Recommended Daily Allowance of sawdust in the lungs?

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 AM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
The kctermite. Where did you get your ( Dust-Be-Gone) washable mask? Sounds like what I would like. Thanks. HLW
post #7 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 AM

View Jack Giovo's Photo Album My Photos
I did a search on the Dust-bee-gone mask - sounded good to me also. Many sites carry it including direct from the factory.

Jack
post #8 of 15 Old 08-14-2010, 06:55 AM

View MGP Roofing's Photo Album My Photos
I use a Triton powered respirator most of the time. Especially since I use a lot of heart rimu, the dust of which is very irritating to the nose and lungs.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-14-2010, 07:38 AM

View Wizard1500's Photo Album My Photos
I am 59, and I have COPD.....my lung capacity is down to 36%. I end up in the hospital about every 2 years, because of bronchitis and pneumonia ( in 2009, I spent 3 months in the hospital Jan - Mar).....my lungs, frankly, are shot. This was caused by too many years of smoking.....dust can and does cause the same problems to your lungs.....I now wear either a rebreathing mask, or a heavy duty filtration mask whenever I work with wood. If you know what is good for you, and care about your health, you will get a good respirator now.....I know from experience, lung disease is not fun......sorry to sound so stern in my response, but I LIVE WITH IT EVERY DAY.....and btw: it is any and all wood.....
post #10 of 15 Old 08-14-2010, 07:51 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not know of any situation in woodworking where a respirator would be needed. A good quality mask is generally the most that would be required.

George
post #11 of 15 Old 08-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1500 View Post
I am 59, and I have COPD.....my lung capacity is down to 36%. I end up in the hospital about every 2 years, because of bronchitis and pneumonia ( in 2009, I spent 3 months in the hospital Jan - Mar).....my lungs, frankly, are shot. This was caused by too many years of smoking.....dust can and does cause the same problems to your lungs.....I now wear either a rebreathing mask, or a heavy duty filtration mask whenever I work with wood. If you know what is good for you, and care about your health, you will get a good respirator now.....I know from experience, lung disease is not fun......sorry to sound so stern in my response, but I LIVE WITH IT EVERY DAY.....and btw: it is any and all wood.....

I've also got respiratory problems. Sawdust and chemicals are not good to breathe. My exposure was a little on the extreme side. About 40 years on a daily basis. I would recommend a two cartridge respirator for all procedures in the shop. A bad habit that's practiced is removing the respirator too soon. Ambient dust and vapors can linger in the air a long time.

post #12 of 15 Old 08-14-2010, 07:57 AM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
only when yuo get the price of some exotic wood george

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #13 of 15 Old 08-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Kevin's Boss

View Mrs. Texas Timbers's Photo Album My Photos
Did a little searching on-line; the cheapest I found the Dust-bee-gone was $34.95 (medium sz.) at Amazon.com. Check out their reviews as well.

"To everything...Turn! Turn! Turn!"
Adapted entirely from the Book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible (with the exception of the last line) and put to music by Pete Seeger in 1959.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-14-2010, 01:23 PM

View brown down's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I do not know of any situation in woodworking where a respirator would be needed. A good quality mask is generally the most that would be required.

George
some exotic woods are very toxic and harmful. I used to not wear a mask in the shop, after turning chico viga, i believe that was the wood, it felt like i sniffed cayenne pepper, and the effects lasted for quite some time. After doing some research and getting a wood toxicity report, i was shocked at what i was breathing in!!!! just google wood toxicity report!!!
post #15 of 15 Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 AM

View westernspindle's Photo Album My Photos
I would skip right to a dust collector that will suck the tool completely dry. Someone asked me about the lack of sawdust in my shop, and said I must spend half my day cleaning. No, we just have a dust collector that consumes all the air in the shop in less than a minute. Lean towards overkill on dust exctraction and the need for masks goes away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode