record lathes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

View matchman's Photo Album My Photos
record lathes

Hi Guys,I am new to this forum ,so treat Me gentle,please!! I have been given a Record No 1 Coronet (blue!) woodturning lathe, complete with 1/2 hp induction motor,it has a 3 speed elt drive pulley gear change,inspection cover on headstock,No 1 morse taper on tail and headstock and a 3/4 x 16tpi male nose on h/stock spindle. What it has not got is the 2 x bed tubes that the running gear is clamped too!! .Can anyone help with tube diameters,lengths,type of tube or bar that was fitted as standard please.Thanks in anticipation,matchman mick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-28-2009, 10:12 AM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
the link below is to coronet website, there is a email link to tony maybe he can help you or order a manual for him. welcome to the forum.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet%20major/index.html

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
post #3 of 12 Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
Match, I have the Record CLC3 lathe. I am not sure if this is the exact model that you have. Everything is the same as far as head and tail stock. I am not sure the hp of the motor on mine. Here is what you are after though as far as tube dia. and length. The tubes are 1 1/2"x 69 1/4" solid bars that are chromed. I hope this helps. I love my lathe, I got it as a "hand me down" from my uncle. I have a bunch of accessories for it, and I can do about anything I want to with it.
You may want to contact Record Power to find a source for the bars. They are solid metal so $$$ might be high. Good luck and happy turning.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups

Last edited by AZ Termite; 02-28-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Matchman,
Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2009, 05:00 PM

View woodsmith75's Photo Album My Photos
Matchman,

I have had a Record Coronet CLC3 for a number of years. I don't use it a lot, but when I do, it does a pretty good job even though I don't have a lot of the bells and whistles attachments that are on the market. As to your question concerning the rails, I just measured mine and here is what I came up with:- 2 rails, each 57-1/4" long, 1.495" diameter, solid steel round bar that is finished in polished chrome. I know they are solid (not tubes) because I almost did a somersault on the showroom floor when I attempted to pick them both up off the floor simultaneously and didn't expect them to be near as heavy as they were (I thought they were tubes - definitely not so). I hope this helps if you haven't already found the information somewhere else.

Good luck,
woodsmith75

Last edited by woodsmith75; 06-14-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: mistake in model number & forgot to type addressee
post #6 of 12 Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

View matchman's Photo Album My Photos
Smile

thanks for the info mr woodsmith ,i have managed to get some 1.5 inch bar that is just perfect for the job,many thanks, mick s /
post #7 of 12 Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Record Lathes

Hi an wecome,I have one of those lathes,but mine is called Ohio Forge.They are made under several different names.I bought mine because the price was right an there were other tools that came with it that I wanted,but for right now all I am going to use it for is a buffing station.Good luck with it,as it is a start.

God Bless all
Ken Ward

Last edited by The woodsman; 06-15-2009 at 10:05 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 AM

View heart wood's Photo Album My Photos
looks like the headstock specs are similar to the shopsmith. Can one use shopsmith attachments on the record lathes?
post #9 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 AM

what's the model # of your Ohio Forge?

I'm looking to get a spindle adapter so I can take advantage of the many aftermarket products available - only for Jet and Delta lathes! I need to know the tpi and size of my spindle. I'm not a machinist so I don't know how to figure this out. I can probably measure the spindle and count threads but...
post #10 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Measure the diameter with mic/calipers, then count how many thread points in one half inch. Multiply by 2 to get TPI.

Harrison, at your service!
post #11 of 12 Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 AM

Thumbs up thanks H.A.S.

I did that (only I don't have a half-inch of threads). Came up with 16 tpi by 3/4". Turns out PSI has just the thing to make that compatible with all the 8tpi accessories available.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 AM

matchman

The company now known as "Record Power" has a knowledge base for these lathes. I have a CL 3 (the nameplate calls it a CLC 3, but Record's knowledge base calls it a CL 3) and I found detailed instructions for calibrating the headstock's bushing. There were other useful tips here as well.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.p...port&db=5&cc=1

Their website is a bit "fussy", but I found this to be more useful thant the website mentioned above. By the time you pay shipping on a chunk of cast iron from the UK, you may as well make friends with a local machinist and get spare parts made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode