Quickies that sell real well - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

View Biscobob's Photo Album My Photos
Quickies that sell real well

Started turning to put some extra change in my pocket and of course am addicted to it. Singing to the choir ain't I.

I try to make as varied a selection as possible since there is no telling what someone will like. With my only time to turn being after work these are spun out as fast as I can. Quite often my entire weeks work is gone over the weekend and I am back at square one Monday evening. They aren't perfect, but people seem to like them that way. This is a portion of three evenings worth of work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Biscobob For This Useful Post:
mackem (08-04-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

They are very cool. Are they just decorative?

post #3 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Yea, although my granddaughter thinks the big one should be a lamp.
I have hunted and picked wild mushrooms all my life so I try to make some of them look realistic shapewise, others I just do whatever the wood lets me do. Of course a few started out as something totally different until I either took one cut too many or gouged the heck out of it. LOL
Would like to make a line of ultra realistic looking ones for mushroom education classes I do. Have lots of ideas, just not enough time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Very cool

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #5 of 12 Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 AM

View jantzadam's Photo Album My Photos
Interesting, not my choice of things I would turn, but cool non the less
post #6 of 12 Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Cool looking mushrooms!
But the topic threw me. Wondered how much “quickies” were going for these days.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 12 Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Figured that would get everybodys attention.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-29-2011, 07:26 PM

View WoodBen's Photo Album My Photos
I don't get it!

I can understand a mushroom hunter who is also a wood turner, turning mushrooms! That makes sense! Especially if you want to use them for teaching a class on how to hunt mushrooms! I dang sure wouldn't want to take a chance on eating a wild one unless I knew what I was doing... which I don't. But if you are not a mushroom hunter, or a wood turner, I don't get the fascination some people have with them.... yet they are out there. As I have begun researching wood turning, I have come across one site after another that talks about an easy thing to turn, that can also turn a buck! I can understand a few selling here and there, but it seems like the things are REALLY popular!! Go figger! I can't wait till I can start taking the free class that is in my area so I can get some first hand knowledge and experience to determine if my hands & brain can get together and turn out something nice!!
post #9 of 12 Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Mushrooms have been a part of human cultures since the beginning. Cave drawings and Egyptian hieroglyphics have been found depicting mushrooms. One of my programs I give is about how deeply thay are intertwined into all aspects of civilization. Ancient civilizations believed mushrooms were the food of the gods and held mystical powers. In Egypt only royalty could eat mushrooms, the consuming of mushrooms by commoners was a punishable offense. In various civilizations throughout the world including Russia, China, Greece, Mexico and Latin America, mushroom rituals were and still are practiced. Many believed that mushrooms had properties that could produce super- human strength, help in finding lost objects and lead the soul to the realm of the gods.
Lots of artwork, movies, literature etc. portray mushrooms in one way or another. Look at your kids coloring book, how about Mario Brothers, Alice in Wonderland, the list goes on and on.
We began as hunter gatherers and I believe no matter how "civilized" we have become there is a primeval part of our brains that still holds a fascination for the lowly mushroom.
Sorry to ramble, guess I am a little passionate about the subject.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biscobob For This Useful Post:
H. A. S. (07-30-2011), mackem (08-04-2011)
post #10 of 12 Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
These are really cool! I've made a few mushroom shaped bottle stoppers, and the hippie / pothead types love 'em. I thought about making some free standing shrooms like yours, but I didn't think i could sell them, so I pretty much just keep a couple in the form of bottle stoppers on my display.

I think the lamp idea is a good one!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-30-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Yea I already have plans for lamps. Out of the mouths of babes. LOL
Just came back from some time in the woods looking for shrooms, struck out there but I did find a couple pieces of some really cool wood. Heading into the garage now to see what comes out of it.

A wise man once told me, "Relax and enjoy life, cause you'll never get out of here alive." RIP Dad
post #12 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 AM

View WoodBen's Photo Album My Photos
Good points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscobob View Post
Mushrooms have been a part of human cultures since the beginning. Cave drawings and Egyptian hieroglyphics have been found depicting mushrooms. One of my programs I give is about how deeply thay are intertwined into all aspects of civilization. Ancient civilizations believed mushrooms were the food of the gods and held mystical powers. In Egypt only royalty could eat mushrooms, the consuming of mushrooms by commoners was a punishable offense. In various civilizations throughout the world including Russia, China, Greece, Mexico and Latin America, mushroom rituals were and still are practiced. Many believed that mushrooms had properties that could produce super- human strength, help in finding lost objects and lead the soul to the realm of the gods.
Lots of artwork, movies, literature etc. portray mushrooms in one way or another. Look at your kids coloring book, how about Mario Brothers, Alice in Wonderland, the list goes on and on.
We began as hunter gatherers and I believe no matter how "civilized" we have become there is a primeval part of our brains that still holds a fascination for the lowly mushroom.
Sorry to ramble, guess I am a little passionate about the subject.
You are right, of course! I hadn't thought about it like that. I always thought the reason early civilizations had ascribed so many mystical powers to them were because of the varieties that contain hallucinogenic properties, but I don't guess that is necessarily the case. Thanks for your "ramblings"! I enjoyed the information! I'm gonna have to turn some mushrooms when I get started turning!!

Blessings!
Ben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode