Quick help about chucks and jaws - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-26-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quick help about chucks and jaws

I'm looking to get a nova chuck good price comes with all the jaws except the large cole laws which are out of my price range. Can the flat jaws or a self made jig be made to hold the outside of a 10" or so bowl to finish the bottom?

They also have this one at PSI that comes with the jumbo jaws.

Last edited by rrbrown; 11-26-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-26-2010, 11:02 PM

View mars's Photo Album My Photos
I'm looking to get a nova chuck good price comes with all the jaws except the large cole laws which are out of my price range. Can the flat jaws or a self made jig be made to hold the outside of a 10" or so bowl to finish the bottom?

You can use it to hold the inside of the bowl if it will open up enough. The cole jaws are only rated for 600 RPM so you will have to have a lathe that will stay under that. You could just sand the bottom.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-26-2010, 11:22 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post

This is a good set but I have not used it so far. I just got this one for a birthdday gift and the jumbo jaws are good for 8 1/2". By the way the first one PSI sent had a 3" hole in the package so I received a second on 7 days later. The first one had the tabs for the jumbo jaw falling out of the package when delivered. The replacement chuck was also in bad condition but everything inside was still in the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-27-2010, 03:27 AM

View New Yankee's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post

You can still buy the Nova G3 promo deal w/four jaw sets for $149.99 through a Woodcraft store. I bought mine and they still had ten sets left.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I now have a vacuum chuck, cole jaws, and several other homemade ways to reverse turn a bowl, however for many years, here is what I did.
I start all of my bowl mounted between centers. I rough out the outside and turn a tenon for the chuck. This is usually on the tailstock end. I leave the mark the tailstock leaves. Sometimes this requires turning the portion near the tailstock down to 3/4" or less so it will fit in the chuck once the big tenon is seated i the jaws.
When the bowl has been hollowed and ready for the bottom to be finished I simply put a rubber since stopper over my chuck and reverse the bowl so the opening fits over the chuck. I bring the tailstock up and place it in the original hole. Apply some pressure and your ready to reshape the bottom. I turn all of the bottom except that last little tenon. I make it as small as I dare and then simply carve it away off the lathe.
If for some reason you have to remove the little tenon to fit the bowl in your chuck jaws. Simply turn a round piece that fits snugly inside the threaded portion of your chuck jaws. center drill this on the while it's on the lathe using something like a 1/4" or 5/16 drill. Now while the bowl is still in the chuck place this tenon in the threaded portion and push the drill down through it to mark a center on your bowl.
If that last part isn't clear I'll try to take a photo of my centering jig later when I go to the shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode