quick dry wet wood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
quick dry wet wood?

I woke up feeling like it was a day for pens. I haven't made pens in a long time but earlier in the week found a bag of pen parts, mandrels, bushing etc that I must have bought one or five years ago.
I grabbed a small log that I cut off a mesquite tree a few days ago. I thought it was deadwood since most of the bigger stuff I cut was deadwood, but when I cut it down on the bandsaw it feels real cold to the touch - that to me means it's wet.

So now I've got two wet mesquite boards 1" thick, 4" wide, 18" long. And I want to turn pens.

Today.
I suppose I could keep grabbing logs and making boards, but I've only got one junker bandsaw blade left and milling wet mesquite with it is going to kill it very quickly. So option 2 is to dry the boards I just made.

What can I do? It's not hot enough out here to just lay them on the driveway - another 30 days or so and that will do the trick quickly.

Can I microwave them? Cook them in the oven? If so - how, as they are, cut into blanks first, predrill before cooking?

I've also heard boiling stops checking. Instead of drying, can I boil them?

thanks
Joe

Insert witty signature line here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
If you're really in a hurry, cut them closer to pen blank side and dry them in the microwave, CAREFULLY.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
joesbucketorust (05-06-2012)
post #3 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
I run with chisels.

Cool. 1 minute, 10 minutes? popcorn setting?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Ive dried a couple of blanks in the microwave. I nuke them for 15 to 20 seconds and then let them cool and nuke em again and continue untill I dont see moisture boiling from the end grain. Probably not the most scientific method but has worked in a pinch. You can also use a kitchen scale to get more accurate measurements of when the moisture is gone. Make sure they have completely cooled before drilling.

You can also put them in a toaster oven or possibly even your regular oven at 200* for about 2 hours. I know guys do this to get blanks completely dry before stabelizing. It may take longer when starting with green wood, not sure.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BassBlaster For This Useful Post:
joesbucketorust (05-06-2012)
post #5 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 PM

View prestonbill's Photo Album My Photos
You probably have dried the wood by now and turned a pen. But if you haven't I have dried a fair amount of wood in the microwave. One way to tell if you have nuked it enough is to use a clear plastic bag. Put the blanks in to the bag and nuke on high for a minute or two. the moisture will condensate on the plastic. take it out and remove the blanks and either dry the bag or use another one and do it again. I never leave it cool so the process doesn't take to long. Sometimes I will let it cool a little to see if the moisture will stop coming out of the wood. When you aren't getting a lot of moisture on the inside of the bag it should be dry enough. OR if you smell burning wood you probably have dried it a little to far. Do one blank at a time so if you do dry it to far you aren't out that much.

Some woods will be a different color when nuked. Little Leaf Linden or Basswood will stay almost ivory color when nuked.

Good luck
post #6 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
I run with chisels.

Waste of a Day

Dried the wood - yes. Turned a pen - no. It just turned into another wasted day. I microwaved 15-20 seconds at a time, standing them on end on a paper towel. It took a while but I found the rhythm that kept the sound they made somewhere between a slight hiss and a heavy whistle. When they got too hot I let them set on a rack on the stove for a while. The sapwood turned a nice yellow - like I wanted, but the heartwood didn't get very dark. In any case, I got one blank prepped and halved - then realized I had no glue. So I drove all the way into town just for some superglue. Got back and got the tubes in and the ends squared. Went to put it on the bushings and the mandrel and the bushings don't fit in the tube. Turns out I have 5 pen kits, all 7mm and my bushings - both sets - are for "parker style". At least that's what I'm assuming the problem is. One of the mandrels was brand new, and the bushings were still in the wrapper and the wrapper says "parker style." The other bushings were used and just sitting on the other mandrel but they look like they're the exact same size as the other. So Sunday was a waste, no pens until I get around to ordering 7mm bushings.
EDIT: And the pen kits were from Lee Valley. I can't remember the last time I ordered from LV so I've had these for a while. Time to stop procrastinating and order those bushings.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have a 60* live center and dead center? If so, just turn between centers. No bushings or mandrel needed!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BassBlaster For This Useful Post:
joesbucketorust (05-07-2012)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
I run with chisels.

No bushings, but finished the pen.

Thanks - I'd read that tip here before but figured it was for lathe-meisters. When you mentioned it again I thought what the hell - the wood was free and I've got 5 of the kits so if I ruin one it's no big loss. First attempt was with CA to finish - I didn't like the big shine so I took it back down to a dull sheen with just a couple coats of oil. It's no museum piece, but not bad for someone who hasn't turned a pen since Bush was in the White House (Sr. and he was only the VP.) Next one I'm trying to use a blank with more of the yellow sapwood like on the chisel in the pic.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode