questions on turning tools.. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

View kingcotrader's Photo Album My Photos
questions on turning tools..

howdy all. first post! very excited to be picking up my first lathe this weekend_ found a used very for a reasonable price.. anyhow, im sure this has been covered before but i was wondering about hss chisels. locally there is a 8 pc set of record power hss chisels from sheffield for $125. about 10 yrs old but never used.. (coincindentally somebody is selling the same exact set on ebay -but that one has some cracked ferrules) annnyway, wanted to know if anybody has any experience with these?
btw read somewhere else that this brand used to be of very high quality but started outsourcing from china about 2 yrs ago..
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Question on turning

Hi whats yer name This is a common mistake most new turners,asuming you are a new turners,make if not,then sorry.Anyway we are so anxious to get started that we just want tools,tools an more tools I wouldn't buy a set like that (did it when I started and don't use half of em) What I would suggest is try and get with a club and talk to some turners,try an decide what you may be turning,bowls,spindles or other things.If you think you will be turning bowls,then any of those sets are not what you would need.If you are going to turn spindles then you still wouldn't need all of them.Back to the club suggestion.It would be your best bet,then if you want to try spindles,then they would help you out as to what you would need,same with bowls.I now buy my tools one at a time and pretty much use them all.If would like or need more help you can PM me or even send me an email and I will do anything I can to help out.As for that set your speaking of,I would say know as that is to much money,as you can get basicly the same set for half that price,just made under a different name.
Good luck
Ken
post #3 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

View kingcotrader's Photo Album My Photos
hey ken thanks for the warm welcome. my name is sean. appreciate the advice on the chisels. i work for a designer and we do a lot of remodel and specialty work so i felt like i could justify a lathe- at least thats what i tell myself. will be doing some furniture related work but am looking forward to doing some bowls and vases etc.. the lathe is a jet 1236- love to get a larger one but cant quite justify the $. i will heed your advice and look around at tooling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Sean

Welcome to the forum. I haven't done much turning, although I have the equipment, but I do know that Record makes very high quality tools. I would agree with The Woodsman. Do some comparison shopping before you buy, and as he says, you may not use all of any given set.
Ps: If you decide you really like the Record tools do not be afraid to make the owner an offer. All he can do is say no.

Gerry
post #5 of 9 Old 05-01-2009, 10:49 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Sean,
Welcome to the forum. Ditto on what the woodsman said. That's normally the advice I give in the same situation. Also, don't cut yourself short on the jet you are buying. You will be able to turn 90% of what most turners do with that lathe. I would reiterate again the importance of either finding a local turning club or at least a couple of local turners that would help get you started. It's important to get the basics down without learning a bunch of bad habits. Also they can show you how to sharpen your tools you get. That's the second most important thing to learn. Good luck,
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2009, 06:36 AM

View Robocop's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Sean and welcome,

On the subject of tools, and where to buy, has anyone ever bought tools from a "yard sale", here in Irland we can find some good bargains at a "boot sale" i bought an old chisel for 50p about 30cents it is 12" long i now use as a skew chisel, i passed through Tn and North and South Carolina last year and passed numerious Yard sales and wondered if there were any tools worth picking up.

Gus
post #7 of 9 Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Question on turning tools

Hey,you can make a lot of chips with that lathe.I started with a Ricon mini,still have it,and it more than pd for its self the 1st yr I had it.I now have the NOVA 1624 and love both of em.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
I must be missing something here. What do Chinese pipes have to do with this thread???

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #9 of 9 Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Fighting the fight.....

View PTownSubbie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsszz View Post
I am thinking about buying some wholesale water pipes from this company in China http://www.liangdianup.com/tobacciana_z.htm
but I am not sure if they are legal to bring in to the states? What are the laws on water pipes, bongs, and pipes?
I've been seeing this more and more in threads. I wonder if there is a bot that has learned to crack into the forums. Or maybe he is trying to promote his stuff......

Fred

www.luv2turn.com

Foot: A special device for finding furniture in the dark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode