question on moisture content in unfinished bowl - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

View SodFather's Photo Album My Photos
question on moisture content in unfinished bowl

I was messing around when I had a chance this weekend on the lathe. Its my second attempt on the lathe and I noticed that once I got down into hollowing it out that it seemed like the moisture content had gone up from where it was when I started(or so I thought). I figured I'd leave it a little thicker than I wanted hoping it wont twist/crack...ect.

I quit hollowing it out once I noticed and was wondering if storing in paper bag will do it to wick the moisture out, opening it to breathe of coarse? Should this be done inside the house or out in garage, where its cold still?

Heres a quick pick I took after taking off the lathe...its Walnut/MyrtleWood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 PM

View robbiethewood's Photo Album My Photos
hi i normal put mine in paper bags and live them in the house leave some shavings in the bag two when i have big turnings with a lot of moister in it i put them in plastic bags and every couple of days take them out turn the bags inside out keep doing this till the bag gets dry

when you say moister in the wood how much is there have you got a meter reader
post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
If the bowl is not dry it needs to dry slowly. Putting it in a paper sack will do that. It will not stop warping and neither will leaving it thick. Wood will move when it dries. You can turn it thin and let it move. If you leave it thick many turners do what we call twice turned. You leave a bowl thick enough to allow a second turning after it dries and warps. This is usually 10% of the total size. A ball park size is 1" for a 12" bowl. It takes about 5 months or longer to dry if it's freshly cut and roughed out. You can tell if a bowl is dry by weighing it. When it stops losing weight it's dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

View SodFather's Photo Album My Photos
It has around 13% on my moisture reader, guess I'll just finish it and see what happens and learn from it.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
13% is almost as dryas it gets in my area. We usually say 8 to 12% depending on the time of year and type of heat or air your using. I would just leave it alone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode