Question about mandrel fitting. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

View NNJG_Matt's Photo Album My Photos
Question about mandrel fitting.

So I think I have found the perfect lathe for me. Click here to see the lathe I know its a harbor freight tool and those generally aren't the best quality but this tool has ALL positive reviews (20 of em') and I think its worth the money as a beginner wood worker.

So my question is will this mandrel fit onto the lathe? I ask this because on the lathes page it says the headstock fits MT-2 and the tailstock fits MT-1 and also says the Quill taper is MT-2 So what fits?

Also for turning things like an egg or tool handle type projects I know it attaches to something called a spur. Will this fit one? What size?

Reviewers said, "this takes chucks that fit a 3/4" 16TPI" and "The spindle size for this lathe is actually 1"-8TPI, NOT 3/4"-16TPI as the specification tab states" I know back when I took turning classes that I used a chuck to make bowls but I don't know if it has any other uses, does it? And also I still don't understand what part of the lathe is the spindle; should I take this reviewers comment into consideration for something?

Side note/question: What is the purpose of a faceplate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-17-2011, 11:28 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
There isn't enough info in the chart to answer your questions accurately. However I would bet the tailstock has a #2 morse taper as well as the headstock.
What we call the spindle is the part that goes through the headstock and has the threads. I think that lathe has 1" x 8 threads not 3/4 x 16. You should be able to measure it accurately enough. Just measure the outside diameter of the threads. If it's 3/4" then it probably has 16 threads if it's 1" it's probably 8. You can count the threads by seeing how many fit in a 1" space.
Chucks are very handy for turning all sorts of things. By 4 jaw self centering chucks. The jaws for a round circle when completely closed. Don't buy one of the chucks that has 4 small jaws. These are designed for metal lathes and don't work very well on wood lathes. Make sure you buy the correct spindle adaptor for the chuck that fits your lathe. If it's 1"x8 threads then make sure the chuck will fit 1"x8.
The pen mandrel you pictured is a #2 morse taper. That should fit your lathe. It is for turning pens.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-18-2011, 02:07 AM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, that mandrel will fit.

Theres some misinformation on the site about that lathe. As the other poster said, both the headstock and tailstock are MT-2. The spindle is 1"-8. The spur center that you mentioned comes with the lathe as does a live center. The faceplate is for attaching larger pieces to the lathe when you cant turn between centers and dont have a chuck. You attach your blank to the faceplate via screws and then screw the faceplate to the lathe spindle.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Most of your questions were answered. It comes with a drive spur, most are four wing and this is what “drives” the wood when held between the headstock and tailstock.
The faceplate also drives the wood but allows you to not have the tailstock in place. However, due to the screws it does take away from the usable wood (normally not a problem) and it is used with larger diameter items. The manual shows how to use both the drive spur and the faceplate.

To add to what John said, think of the spindle as a drive shaft. It drives a spur, faceplate, chuck, or other method of driving the wood. It appears it to have the 1” spindle from the manual. It is possible specs were changed on that model and all data not upgraded.
A chuck is not necessary but very nice. Nova introduced the first woodworking scroll chuck in 1988 so for many hundreds of years only drive spurs, faceplates, etc were used.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode