Question about Bottle Stoppers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
Question about Bottle Stoppers

The stoppers you folks have been posting has inspired me to turn a couple as well. The question I have is how do you attach them? Do you "just" drill and tap the wood for the machine threads? Do you install inserts into the wood to except the machine threads? Or, do you drill the wood for the major diameter of the machine threads and epoxy the stopper in place? Ive turned two, the first was maple and I just drilled and hand tapped the 3/8-16 thread. It's ok but you can tell the threads are not that great. The second, I drilled it big and mixed up some epoxy and glued the stud into the wood. It turned out ok but i got to wondering how you folks were doing it.

Thanks for the insperation,

Randy

"Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer, 'Am I worth dying for?'"

Eleanor Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 09:44 PM

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Randy,

The stoppers that I have turned are from Penn State Industries. They make a nifty "bottle stopper chuck". It mounts on the headstock of the lathe. It is 3/8 NC thread. The first one that I made I drilled 21/64ths and force threaded the "chuck" into the hole. I had the devil's own time getting the stopper installed. I went to the hardware store and bought a 3/8" NC tap. It all works like buttah!

The link will get you to the page on bottle stopper chucks.

Hope this helps

Andy

Thank You

Andy

Last edited by Adillo303; 10-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 10:00 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I too use PSI's chuck and drill bit( came as a set.). This leaves the hole very, very snug. I use a tap that is slightly smaller than the threads on the stopper. In punky wood, I add a small amount of CA glue if it seems loose.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 AM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
Like the others, I use the PSI stopper chuck. Drill with a #O bit and tap 3/8x16. If the wood doesn't thread well enough to hold the stopper I use a dab of epoxy on the threads when I install it.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 02:18 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I just use wooden dowels that I get from the wine stopper guru Nick Cook. I also buy my corks from him.
My fancier wine stopper I use the Ruth Niles stainless steel stoppers. I get the plain one and glue it on but Ruth also sells threaded ones along with the threaded adaptor for your lathe.
http://www.torne-lignum.com/
post #6 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 PM

View Wooduse's Photo Album My Photos
I use Ruth Niles as well. Her system is perfect and the quality is superb.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the responses, they all helped in one way or another. Also thanks for the Ruth Niles link. I like the idea of buying stuff amde in the USA.

"Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer, 'Am I worth dying for?'"

Eleanor Roosevelt
post #8 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I have the woodcraft mandrel I mount in a Jacobs chuck. Drill the hole and the threaded mandrel self taps. Works pretty well as long as you get a clean hole.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I just started my first stoppers. I drilled the hole and tapped the threads and screwed the blank on the chuck. Before I had it round the threads stripped on the blank. I tried one more and it did the same thing. The next one I drilled the hole but did not tap it. I just screwed it on the chuck. I have it turned but not finished. It is still on the chuck. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. It is not clear if other are tapping before threading on the chuck or later.
Tom
post #10 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 06:04 PM

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
TomC - I drill and tap before I mount the blank on the chuck. I have not one strip yet. I am wondering if you should use a smaller drill to get deeper threads.

Thank You

Andy
post #11 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303
TomC - I drill and tap before I mount the blank on the chuck. I have not one strip yet. I am wondering if you should use a smaller drill to get deeper threads.
I used the bit that came withe the tap. However, I believe I will have to use a smaller bit or just not tap it.
Tom
post #12 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I drill mine, mount it on the mandrel and turn it round with the tail stock snugged up tight. Once round, I remove the tail stock and finish. The tap it for the hardware. Some punky woods strip out anyway. If so, I remove from mandrel and put some medium CA in the hole, swirling it around good and then hit it with accelerator. Remount and turn.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode