PSI Turncrafter Pro VS - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

View musky's Photo Album My Photos
PSI Turncrafter Pro VS

Hello all, I am new to the sight. I have been looking to buy a lathe for a while now. I use to turn some fishing lures on an old lathe years ago, and wanting to get back into turning. I think I am going to go with a midi/mini lathe for now so I can go ahead and buy one without having to save for a year or so. Most of what I want to turn I can do on one of these anyways. I really like the jet 1220 but I could only afford the lathe and nothing else with it. I have been searching online for a couple of weeks now and the best deal I could find in my opinion is the PSI Turncrafter Pro VS. It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews from some other message boards. I found it on Amazon for $246 with free shipping. Does any of you have an opinion on this lathe or know a better deal on this or another lathe out there. At this price I could afford the sharpening set, grinder and maybe even a chuck to go with it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Musky,
I take it you're a fisherman. My buddy has the lathe you mentioned above and is very happy with it. Probably not a bad way to go if it frees up some money for a chuck. You'll definitely want one of those. If you want to save some money on a chuck, Penn state has one I believe they call the barracuda (sorry, no politics intended). It is sized for the smaller lathes and comes with four sets of jaws to go with it. I have one on my smaller jet and it works fine. I think I caught it on sale for around 159.00 and as a bonus they threw in a set of the bowl jaws with the rubber buggy baby bumpers on it to hold the large end of a bowl while you finish the bottom of it. Pretty good deal and no complaints.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 3 Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
woodturning

That sounds like a good deal,but if your funds are tight you can get just the chuck from these folks for 49.99.There decent little chucks and Tim is a pretty nice guy to deal withT.V. Geist Manufacturing, Inc.
Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode