PSI new 12" lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
PSI new 12" lathe

Just FYI!

I am not sure how many of you are waiting to buy or are on the waiting list at PSI to buy thehttp://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12WB.html
but I called the other day and to get on the earliest list or stand a chance to get one you need to actually call and order one or else you will be waiting forever. Even though the site says June/July right now even if you order one you are looking at August the earliest. So if you want one don't rely on just signing up on the waiting list ...CALL AND ORDER NOW. When I know mine is on the way I will be selling a Mercury Nova which is no longer made but I know people out there are looking for parts etc. and/or a good mini lathe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-10-2010, 12:55 PM

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
That does look like a nice lathe, but when I upgrade, it will be to something with a 16" min swing... these little bowls just aren't cutting it for me!

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
post #3 of 4 Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean. I was looking at Shop Fox, Grizzly and the Jet 16” swing. I just don’t know about the 600 min speed for turning bowls. Sure is difficult to make up my mind. The hp is better also but the belt life seem to be a problem. I also like the bed length w/o having to spend extra for an add on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-12-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

General 14" X 17"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvoigt View Post
That does look like a nice lathe, but when I upgrade, it will be to something with a 16" min swing... these little bowls just aren't cutting it for me!
Well after reading your post it got me thinking. Well now I should call this post the General 14" lathe http://www.general.ca/site_general/g...he/25-114.html
I called around to different stores and was set on a Shop Fox at Woodworkers Depot in Green Bay WI, but I also called the Woodcraft store in Appelton WI and they had great things to say about the New General 14" X 17" and they also had a bed extension. He said they could make my a good deal. So today I traveled to Green Bay 120 miles and looked at the Shop Fox and was not impressed than I went to Appelton 30 miles further West to look at the General 14" X 17". I will tell you I was impressed and for the money it is a VS with digital read out, 24 pos indexing, plus reverse. They gave me 10% off on the complete deal. It was on sale for 549.99 and the 22" extension was 148.99 so with the discount it came to 629.08. This is really a great looking lathe and it has a very heavy bed. It is very well constructed. I have not got it up and running yet but tomorrow I will give it a try. The tool rest post is also 1", and no plastic parts or handles. This lathe is new to their product line, this will be a big improvement from my present 8" X 11". They also have a pivoting head version at 719.99 but I only saw it in the sales flier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode