Practice Wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 08-14-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

View Melinda_dd's Photo Album My Photos
Practice Wood

Hi all,

I'm a total beginner and was wondering....

I need to practice, and I don't want to practice on my pen blanks or good wood.

Can I go to the local D.I.Y shop and buy some pieces of pine to practice on? it's cheap enough and I live near to the shop, but is this a good wood to practice on?

I also in the future want to make some toy soldiers but want to paint themÖ. I donít want to spend a fortune on a wood Iím going to cover with paint, so again is pine a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any responses, and to everyone who takes the time to postÖ Iím learning loads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
pine is fine for toys but is soft to turn and a bit furry and reacts different to hard woods .I hope this answers your questions
regards woody [mark}

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #3 of 10 Old 08-14-2010, 09:27 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Practice on green limbs. They are free. They will crack when they dry so just throw them away. Since they don't cost a thing you don't worry about screwing it up while your practicing.
I frequently will run a test piece on a 2x2 pine. It's great for practicing. If you can turn those with little tearout then you can turn any good wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Another possible source is small construction sites. Many have cut-off of 2X4 or 2X6 they would be glad for you to take.
As John stated, green wood is good for practice. Tree surgeons, crews the trim limbs from power lines, landscapers, your local gov. recycling location, and others. You can also check Craigís List for free wood, a lot of home owners would rather you take the wood rather than pay to haul it away. Another listing is Free Cycle where you can post a "wanted".
Mike
post #5 of 10 Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 PM

I glued up a lot of wood when I first got started. That was all that I new to do. Once I was introduced to green wood I started robbing the neighbors fireplace wood. Much of that wood has a lot of check and cracks but if you look hard you can find a piece where the middle is good. Cut both ends off and mount it between centers. Turn a short tenon on what will be the bottom and glue that to a wasteblock that has a matching hole that you turned. (Use 5 minute epoxy but let it dry an hour to be sure). Then your ready to try to turn a bowl.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Kevin's Boss

View Mrs. Texas Timbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome!

I like Paladin's advice...there should be plenty of free wood around for the taking. Cut your own blanks and save some bucks. You can find lots of different wood species on E-bay as well to cut to size when you are ready. Most importantly, have fun with it. This doesn't have to be an expensive "hobby", if you will. It is very addicting; I find it rather relaxing as probably most turners do. I am a beginner as well and my husband, TexasTimbers and I jockey for the lathe often times. We both love it. I hope you enjoy turning and your stay here on the Woodworkingtalk forum. There is so much info. I am getting quite an education to say the least. What a treat!

"To everything...Turn! Turn! Turn!"
Adapted entirely from the Book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible (with the exception of the last line) and put to music by Pete Seeger in 1959.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If you have to buy wood, you might try Poplar, or Douglas Fir. They are both fairly inexpensive, and would be my choice over pine.

post #8 of 10 Old 08-16-2010, 05:27 AM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
just so you know green wood does not turn the same as dry seasoned hard woods

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #9 of 10 Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM

Green wood is very easy to turn but if it's really fresh it will throw water all over you. Green wood will crack when it dries so to be able to turn a finished product you have to learn to work with it or let it dry first. Letting it dry without cracking can be tough. That's why I recommend it as a practice wood, because it cuts so easily and is easy to find. There are videos out there that teach you how to turn bowls and other things from green wood.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

View Melinda_dd's Photo Album My Photos
thankyou for all your help peoples

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode