Pouring rain and I am playing with a yoyo - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Pouring rain and I am playing with a yoyo

It has poured rain here for 3 days...kinda messing up my other plans. I am stuck in the shop. I have a little nephew that I am making Christmas present for as I find time. I already made him a rocking horse and all that. I got thinking what else does a little boy like, Hey a yo yo! I have never made one (haven't even seen one for 25 years) I looked them up on the internet this morning and the old timey ones where made from hard maple...I have that, piece of cake. But that seemed boring, why not make one from curly maple? If I was doing that might as well throw in some maple burl to pretty it up. It was fun and easy to make , I think I will make a couple more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-16-2006, 04:28 PM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
Once again you're over the top Daren.....

That's a mighty fine yo-yo...
post #3 of 9 Old 11-16-2006, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlkraft View Post
Once again you're over the top Daren
I will take that as a compliment, considering the source . Some people don't get it. Why make a project out of a simple yo yo? Why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2006, 10:22 PM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Why make a project out of a simple yo yo?
Because it's the coolest yo-yo I've ever seen and nobody else has one.... and that my friend, is what cool wood is all about...taking a simple toy and making it into a collector piece that you can play with on a rainy day...
post #5 of 9 Old 11-17-2006, 07:29 AM

View SawDustJack's Photo Album My Photos
Rain ?? Sheesh ya oughta been here Wednesday wit' me , out in it all blasted day .. Got kinda nastee here ..

Cool yo yo ..

Is it two pieces , or didja use yur trustee pocket knife to whittle out the middle fer the string
post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 AM

View JP Sinclair's Photo Album My Photos
Daren-Very nice. Looks like you could put that on the page with the lures. I bet you would be surprised at the sales. Plus it takes so little wood to make. Great stuff!!
post #7 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 09:29 PM

View Plowboy's Photo Album My Photos
Daren,

Getting caught up on the Turning board here. That's the kind of project I think I might be able to do. The a good future project for two young boys I have.

Did you just turn it as one piece and then put the burl in as an inlay?

This is the kind of stuff I'm hoping to get more and more from this site: ideas and confidence in trying new things. I still consider myself a pretty green woodworker. To my non-woodworking friends, they think I'm amazing, but I know better. So much to learn.

Thanks...

Todd
post #8 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

This is how I made that yoyo. It is 2 pieces, connected by an axle. I used a forstner bit to cut the resess for the inlay on a curly maple "scrap", I had some burl 3/8" thick. Then I took a holesaw (2 1/4") and centered it up on the dimple the forstner bit made and cut a blank. I used a pilot bit in the holesaw that was the same size as the pen mandrel shaft on my mini lathe. I turned the yoyo, turned a center dowel shaft the same size as the mandrel/pilot bit. I glued in the shaft/axle, then cut the inlay just perfect on the scrollsaw and put the inlay in.

OK, then I found out you could just buy this stuff http://www.pennstateind.com/store/yoyo.html . They have a bit you put in the drill press and it does all the woodworking, all you do it sand. They sell bearing axle kits that work with the whole deal. What took me 2+ (?) hours, now takes 15 minutes. And my new ones work ALOT better.

As far as being a green woodworker, all you have to do is keep at it . I am a hack, I will admit it. I know what good woodworking is, I have seen plenty of it... just can't do any of it yet. Sure doesn't stop me from trying though.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 10:43 PM

View Plowboy's Photo Album My Photos
Cool link. I might put this on the list for making Christmas gifts next year. My oldest is three in another month. Too young for a yo-yo yet. Good stocking stuffer for next Christmas.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode