Plans or info for Homemade Lathe with Copier? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-29-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

View samsagaz's Photo Album My Photos
Plans or info for Homemade Lathe with Copier?

Hi guys, i want to know if someone have some link or website (or video), that teach me how made an homemade Lathe (with the copier addon), i already made an KMG clone of band sander, but now i want to add to my workshop some tool to lathe woods. i just need small size maximun 70-100cm long.

btw, is possible to get the same acurracy if made one myself vs buy from some store?

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Do a google search of homemade lathes or home built lathes. You can find a variety. The same would be true of Duplicator. Try Home built lathe duplicator or simply lathe duplicator. I found several articles while looking one day.
Learn to use the lathe first. Unless your going to make lots of the same thing a duplicator isn't necessary. If your only making 4 table legs or 2 candlesticks just take your time and measure often and you can make them close enough. If your making 20 or 30 of something then a duplicator is handy.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Being the student of machine design,I'd say the sky's the limit WRT "rollin your own".It certainly depends on the area you're in.....but I'd seriously consider buying a clapped out metalworking lathe.They can be had for scrap prices and in ALOT of cases,less than scrap if PO's know that you're gonna rehab.

The above adresses one glowing consideration.....material prices.One of the basics to buying used/new equip is based on scrap prices.Metal lathes wear out in the bed area right around chuck,more often than not.Generally this "wear point" just isn't at issue turning wood.Also in your quest really pay attention to waste management.....chips N shavings and subsequent cleanup can't be ignored.Best of luck,BW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-30-2010, 06:56 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Shopnotes magazine had an article on how to build a mini lathe in one issue. Fine woodworking had an article on how to build lathes probably 15 years ago. I saved it for a long time but eventually tossed that article.
When I went looking for treadle lathes and foot powered lathes I found several sites that showed how to build lathes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode