Pins - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Pins

I keep forgetting to post these. Someone asked about Christmas gifts somewhere around here, so I thought I'd throw this idea out there.

I turn small snowmen, then cut 'em in half and hot glue a pin on the back. I sold a bunch last year at the craft show, and have more to sell this year at the artist's market. This year I decided to try painting faces on some of them. We'll see which ones sell faster.

Pins-snowmanpins.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-03-2010, 02:37 AM
don't let the name fool u

View lumber jock's Photo Album My Photos
They all look very nice. Happy Holidays! What kind of wood did you use and how did you finish them?

On a side note, I just noticed your handle. Have you seen the new Hawaii 5 oh tv show? I heard it sucks.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-03-2010, 03:34 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Those are genius! They look great. I think I found a project for some of my smaller scrap pieces. The wife and kids will love them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Rather than spend time and possibly danger cutting them in half why not use a paper joint. Glue the wood together with a piece of newspaper or brown craft paper in between. Then just turn it and stick a chisel or knife at the joint and pop the two apart. Then sand the back with a disc sander.
I have used Black construction paper as the joint and then after it's split I just leave it.
I have also used spray adhesive to glue the wood to the black paper after I've split it. Then take an exacto knife and cut away the paper. This is cleaner looking but you have to be really careful not to cut the wood.
For larger projects where I wanted to leave the natural wood and get rid of all paper and glue residue I soak the paper joint with White Vinegar and just scrape it off.
A paper joint is a really useful thing for a lot o projects.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-03-2010, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys.

LJ, I've used all kinds of wood for these, this picture has cherry, canarywood, maple, bubinga, purple heart, and oak. After it's turned, I turn a coat of lacquer into it while it's still on the lathe, then after I've cut them, sanded the edges and maybe painted a face on, I use a can of Deft spray lacquer for a few coats. Oh, and, no, I haven't seen it, I knew it would suck!

John, that's a great idea! I'll give it a shot, but I have a lot of problems centering my blanks. :/ When I turn the snowman or tree, I leave a big square chunk of blank on both ends to keep the thing flat when I cut it in half. I clamp it to the miter saw bed using some oak sticks and clamps. I haven't had an incident with it yet, but I recognize the danger.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode