Peppermill with live edge top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Peppermill with live edge top

I want to make a peppermill with a live edge top like in the attached sketch (please don't make fun of my sketch). I realize it will be somewhat uncomfortable to grab, but a friend has a life edge table and I think a mill with a live edge will complement it nicely.

Anyway, here's my problem...... When you have a live edge and you don't want to mess up the live edge, how do you mount it between centers or in the chuck? Seems I need to get it at least somewhat round to mount it in the chuck, so I still keep coming back to needing to mount it between centers at some point. Also, I need to drill a hole in the underside of the tenon tenon that's part of the top, and I can't envision how to mount the live edge end in a chuck. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	81713  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
You do not mention if the mechanism will have a shaft or be shaftless.

If you have a shaft based mechanism, then you will have a hole in the live edge piece.

I would cut the live edge piece to give a nice flat bottom, then drill the hole for the shaft on the drill press with the live edge obviously "up".

I would then mount the live edge piece on a rod/bolt of the size of the hole, using the rod/bolt in the chuck. I would use a nut with plastic lock collar to hold this on the rod/bolt.

Then turn away as needed.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 04:17 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah ... tricky, innit?

Thinking aloud here ...

I wouldn't want the top to be spoiled by a screw-down bolt, so I'd go for a shaftless design.

I'd square the blank as best I could, and grip the bottom end in a 4-jaw chuck.

Rough the middle to round, create a double-width spigot that the chuck can grip tightly and part in the center of it -- so both the top and bottom can now be held tightly in the chuck.

Hold the bottom in the chuck (by the spigot you just made, which is at the "top of the bottom") and you can round it, drill it, and all that good stuff. Oh -- and if you make another spigot at the bottom of the bottom, you'll be able to flip it around so you can work the end that you'd just held in the chuck.

The really tricky bit is that you've got a spigot by which to hold the top, but it's at the end you actually need to drill into ... hmmm ... and this is where I'll pass the baton to somebody who knows what they're talking about ...

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
My fault for not being more clear.

I would plan to use a shafted Crush/Grind, so although there would be a shaft, it would not extend through the top.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 PM

View BlackbuttWA's Photo Album My Photos
I would use a “crush-grind” type of fitting.
Bandsaw the top roughly to a round shape.
Insert in 4 jaw chuck & drill out the required size hole in the bottom to take the mechanism as usual.
I think it is 25mm. A pin jaws will fit into the 25mm hole & it can then be turned as per normal.
The marks left by the pin jaws will not be seen as they are on the inside. But they could be sanded out if needed.

HTH
Col

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode