Penn State Industries - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 37 Old 10-23-2010, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Penn State Industries

What is your experience with Penn State Industries regarding lathe supplies? I have placed two orders with them and both times I was unable to track my order on their website's tracking function. When I called to get the UPS tracking number they seemed very put out by my inconvienence. I order some stuff last Friday and found out they just shipped it yesterday and it won't arrive till next Tuesday. To me this is ridiculous. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Woodcraft, Grizzly and Rockler. Woodcraft stuff ships from OH and that's only a hair closer than PSI and it takes half the time. What's your take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 10-23-2010, 03:00 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Ordered lots of tooling from them, so far, so good.

Just ordered the wife a new Commander, but they say it'll be another month till they can fill the order. Always get up to date emails even when ordering by phone. Like I said, so far so good.

Grizzly always have been good for ordering and phone help, too.

Time will tell, I guess.

Harrison, at your service!
post #3 of 37 Old 10-23-2010, 03:41 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
I was going to make an order from them but decided to give Woodcraft a chance at the sale first (we have both a Woodcraft and Rockler store within 10 miles of the house) and the money saved on shipping alone kept the order local and I didn't have to suffer the waiting period!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 10-23-2010, 08:12 AM

View SonOfMartin's Photo Album My Photos
I have no issues with PSI. Placed an order this past Monday and it was in my mailbox yesterday.

you can save on shipping by creating an account and posting reviews of their items. You then get a coupon for $5 off your orders good for the next several days. I use it all the time.
post #5 of 37 Old 10-23-2010, 08:54 AM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
What is your experience with Penn State Industries regarding lathe supplies? I have placed two orders with them and both times I was unable to track my order on their website's tracking function. When I called to get the UPS tracking number they seemed very put out by my inconvienence. I order some stuff last Friday and found out they just shipped it yesterday and it won't arrive till next Tuesday. To me this is ridiculous. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Woodcraft, Grizzly and Rockler. Woodcraft stuff ships from OH and that's only a hair closer than PSI and it takes half the time. What's your take?
Sometimes I have the same problems with PSI. Their sister company MLCS has far better delivery than PSI. A while back I put myself on the waiting list for a lathe and I would keep checking their web site for updates. Never really satisfied with what I found so I called them and asked about the lathe and they said I was not put on the preferred waiting list until I actually ordered one and that was the only way they could guarantee a delivery date. So I put myself on the waiting list and 2 weeks later Woodcraft store had a good deal on a lathe with a better price so I canceled my order with PSI. Sometime they have great deliveries and other times it is a crap shoot, never as consistent As Woodcraft or Rockler or for that matter any other wood craft supplier. One more thing I have been experiencing poor plating quality on some of their bottle stoppers and now I just found the same with one of the Eggoscopes. I have had customers return these items which I had to replace. Yes they do replace them but not my time and effort.
post #6 of 37 Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 AM

View Scribbler's Photo Album My Photos
Angry An apology to PSI

NOT!

Before ordering anything from PSI I had some questions which I submitted to them via the "email" form provided on their website. Three times. PSI chose to ignore each request for information.

So, why I am I so surprised that PSI:
  1. Shipped my first order via UPS after I paid higher shipping fee for USPS Priority Mail
  2. Refused to cancel my second order placed the day before the first one shipped. No response to that request until they made sure the second one was shipped two days after the request to cancel it.
  3. Took five (5) days to process my third (and last) order which was short an item (and no response from them on that issue, either).
Somewhere in there I told them their customer service sux. I apologize because I was wrong. It is evident PSI has no customer service.

The solution to the problem might be to stop doing business with PSI because it is apparent they don't give a cr*p about their customers. However, PSI supplies so much product to other retailers that may be an iffy way to do it.

Now that I've completed my rant, I have a message for PSI:

CUSTOMERS ARE YOUR PROFIT, NOT YOUR OVERHEAD

The Scribbler
post #7 of 37 Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
OK I have ordered several times from PSI, MLCS, Woodcraft and Rockler. PSI was the slowest on order processing but not a problem because I read and understood that before i placed my order. In there defense the processing was still completed faster then they said it could take.

Not really related but I ordered from Ancient Wood just before Thanksgiving and they lost my order because I did it over the phone do to questions I had. They apologized and gave me free shipping. (They were very nice about it)
post #8 of 37 Old 12-05-2010, 05:32 PM

View ash123's Photo Album My Photos
I had a similar experience with JC Whitney. I ordered two armrests, they shipped one, cancelled my order for the other one and never explained why. They e-mail me everyday asking for more business. I e-mailed them and asked what happened to the rest of my order and they did not reply:-)

If they'd spend 1/100th the effort on customer service that they spend on soliciting, they wouldn't need to spend so much on solicitations:-)

Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1278182564
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
post #9 of 37 Old 12-05-2010, 05:59 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I donno if this works

In any email requesting service or complaining about service, I would make a point to mention that you are a member of
"***** forum" and let them know that if you are not completely satisfied you will post to that effect on the forum and conversely if you are completely satisfied you will recommend that company on the forum. What goes around should come back around...eventually. The internet is another tool in your box, might as well use it. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-05-2010 at 07:49 PM.
post #10 of 37 Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Over the hills n far away

View Ledhead's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I have had similar experiences with PSI as far as poor communication about my orders and being unable to track the shipment. I've found that if I just don't worry about it and let it go, the order arrives when I expect it will.

Dale
Wentzville, MO
post #11 of 37 Old 12-05-2010, 11:52 PM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
Ordered from Penn State many times never had a problem.
post #12 of 37 Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I appreciate all the responses everyone has posted. I like to think that we keep each other well informed about any of the woodworking companies out there. I trust the info I get here because of the vast experience on this site. So there is good and bad. I would like to say this, mostly because there are positives with PSI. Their products have made me very happy. Ledhead is right about my patience, I should just relax and know that it'll be coming. That hasn't failed, everything I've ordered has arrived well packaged and in good shape. The prices are very good, and I like the tools and chuck I've gotten from them. I just wish they would fix a few small items on their website and be more helpful. I think, and this is just a guess, they could probably use some capital invested in their IT section. Oh well, for their price, which is what I can afford, I shouldn't complain too much.
post #13 of 37 Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Old as dirt

View The Engineer's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if this is completely related, but we'll see.
I just ordered a lathe bed extension from PSI, but I did it on Amazon.com.
Ordered on a Thursday, accepted cheapest shipping offered (6-10 days), and it arrived the following Tuesday.
That ain't bad in my book. And I'm in a small town in Tennessee. Everything takes an extra day to get here from anywhere.
Maybe they take care of the orders forwarded from Amazon first?
post #14 of 37 Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 AM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I've had good experiences with orders from PSI. My last order was placed on a Sunday and it was shipped on Tue and arrived on Thur. I got an email when it was shipped with a UPS tracking number.
Also, on a previous order they send me a wrong item and charged for the correct item (more expensive). I called them the day it arrived and they told me to keep the item and they would send the correct item. It took about a week but I did get the correct item with no additional cost to me.
Tom
post #15 of 37 Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 AM

View pittly's Photo Album My Photos
Penn State Ind.

I have been ordering lathes and equipment for the last 5 years from Penn State. Usually about a week to process and get it shipped..The last couple of years process time has went from a week to month or just plain loose your orders. 02/Sept/2011 I placed and order for 466.00 for a new commander lathe.. I hadn't received a shipping notice by the 13th of Sept.
So I called them,, they had no ideal where the order was.. She called me back and claimed they lost the order.. I asked her if they could get it boxed up and shipped that same day. She replied she didn't know. I said that if she could get shipped today I would like to complete the order of my lathe. But if she couldn't ship it that day to cancel the order..
I end up canceling the order because she didn't know anything.. Lets see how long it takes Penn State to return the money back to my account.
I have made up my mind not use Penn State for anything and I advice others to do the same..If it takes Penn State a week to get off their ass and process an order, its to long for this old man..
I to like Craft USA and Rockers to do business with. Craft USA are a pleasure to work with.
I notice Amazon is selling the the same Commander lathe and they state 1-3 months shipping..So they must have a tough time getting PSI Commander Lathes also..
post #16 of 37 Old 09-14-2011, 01:24 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
You know I will add a few things.

I placed an internet order with PSI and notice a price problem with there website. No big deal it happens but the sale was over that day so i placed the order with only one item that was supposed to be .97 but was charging 9.70, I put a comment about the problem and called them the next morning to try and speed up the fix. They were very helpful fixing the problem and changed the order amount to the higher amount as I requested. That order came and when they fixed it the order was redone as a phone order. Well two items were keyed in wrong and I got the wrong bushings and a drill bit instead of another set of bushings. I called and they again fixed it with no problem.

There are two reasons to have a problem with customer service. Poor training which you could always ask for someone else or a supervisor to resolve it. The other reason is a poor attitude on your part. This can be fixed by being courteous and respectful when explaining your problem. Very rarely will you get a poor response if you are polite and respectful to others regardless of the problem.
post #17 of 37 Old 09-14-2011, 02:21 AM

View ronjboucher's Photo Album My Photos
Love Joe Roberts at penn state

Quote:
I needed help to get o rings for 1 3/8 chuck that I bought at Penn state, sent an e- mail, next day Joe Roberts tool manager for Penn state, calls me at home. Problem solved. Try this # Joe Roberts at 1-800-377-7297. and or send an e-mail asking to get in contact with Mr.Roberts. Real live person.Ron Marietta Ga.
post #18 of 37 Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 AM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
I usually order from PSI or CSUSA and do not usually have a problem.
post #19 of 37 Old 09-14-2011, 10:53 AM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
I very seldom use PSI as they only have a couple pen kits that I use. There shipping time is about the worst out there but it's not a problem if you plan that into your order.
My top 5 vendors are CSUSA, Bear Tooth Woods, Arizona Silhouette, Exotic Blanks and R&B Crafts. All give outstanding service and get 95% of my business.
post #20 of 37 Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Wow... With a couple of exceptions, all of my lathe chisels are from PSI, and never a problem with ordering / shipping. I have also ordered some dust collection stuff from them, hoses, filters and the like... Never a problem. Never ordered from Rockler / Woodcraft as they have stores locally and it is easier just to run up and grab an item than order it... Grizzly has been good for shipping, although slow when I ordered my air filter on sale... A backorder situation that they are getting all too well known for these days. However my item shipped and arrived prior to when Grizzly said stock would arrive to them for shipping... I guess the ship from Taiwan had favorable winds, or the stuff got through Customs faster than they anticipated...

The observation about items ordered via Amazon being handled faster / more effectively may be true. Everything PSI I have ordered except for my replacement filters was done through Amazon, and shipping was always fast...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com

Last edited by dbhost; 09-14-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode