pen turning - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
pen turning

I asked awhile back what pen blanks sell for. I had never bought or sold any but had a bunch guys were asking about. I have a pen lathe, but have never turned a pen...until today. I dug a few "lure blanks" out of the pile and made some pens for Christmas gifts.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/galle...9&limit=recent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 06:56 PM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
Those are nice looking. Did you make them all today?

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #3 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Did you make them all today?
Yea, they are pretty fast to make (even for your first time) I just got the pen kits and right size drill bit in the mail this morning. I had some blanks I drilled and put the little copper sleeve in before lunch and let the glue set while I did other stuff. I sat down at the lathe and turned 10 pens out, finished them and put them together in 1 1/2 hours (?) I wasn't really paying attention just listening to the radio and playing.

I was just trying to figure out what kinda woods work best really. The spalted stuff took longer. It wants to tear out with the tools, you have to "get it close" and bring it down with sandpaper to size. The osage, oak, honey locust were a piece of cake. The curly stuff wanted to tear out some too, but not as bad. I think osage was my favorite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 08:39 PM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
Nice Job Daren....

We will harvest no burl before it's time.....
post #5 of 23 Old 12-13-2006, 11:46 PM

View radar67's Photo Album My Photos
Daren, what is the second from the bottom made out of? Did you use dye on the green one? What kind do you use? I still have to try out some of those blanks you sent. I sold a few of my Katrina oak pens the last few days...or I should say my wife sold them. I made them back in June.

My friends call me Stew.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-14-2006, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

The second from the bottom is some of the spalted curly maple crotch (that you should have several of) The dyed one is just a regular curly maple blank that after I turned it I rubbed (my secret potion)... Easter egg dye solution on , I have been experimenting with dyes lately. It takes a little messing with water/dye ratio, but it makes the curl stand up like nothing you could ever buy from a woodworking supply store.
I was waiting for you to turn some and post pics, but you got busy so I turned my own.
I have tried that dye on oak too, really sets the fleck off.
I am going to do some red and blue in a few days... they sell those plastic blanks with all the colors, they are dull compaired to something organic with the dye.

I tried 10 times with my cheap camera to get a better shot of the spalted pen with birdeyes in it (second from the bottom) no luck. I hope you have a few like it and can do better.

Last edited by Daren; 12-14-2006 at 05:44 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-14-2006, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

I turned a few more from better wood I had laying around. Dyed curly maple, curly walnut sapwood, purple heart and curly elm. I wish I had a truckload of that curly walnut, I just had a few scraps. It looks really cool in person.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/galle...to=200&cat=500
post #8 of 23 Old 12-14-2006, 08:48 PM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
Those look really nice Daren. It's funny that you brought up dye. I have been strictly an 'au natural type of guy, but I recently started experimenting with both water and alcohol dyes. I have been pretty impressed with some of the subtle tones I can achieve to enhance the grain, without being too overbearing.

We will harvest no burl before it's time.....
post #9 of 23 Old 12-15-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlkraft View Post
. I have been strictly an 'au natural type of guy, but I recently started experimenting with both water and alcohol dyes.
Me too Steve (I mean the types of wood you and I like to play with are wild enough left alone:icon_wink: ) I don't stain even 5% of what I make. I think the only reason I have stain around is for some of the resto/refinishing work I do. I have said it before, if you want walnut color use walnut, if you want cherry use cherry... quit using pine and poplar and putting walnut stain on it

I like dye though, it not only let the grain/ figure show through it really enhances it. I have been playing with some 1/4 sawn oak, the dyes make the ray fleck really shine. I am experimenting with some curly stuff right now. I have the one color dye job down pat, I am trying to figure out a two color deal. I think it can be done, I am getting close. Dye the wood with a water color then sand off the grain that stands up (the curl) and hit it with another color. I am messing with a first swipe with yellow, then a second weak blue. I am hoping for a yellow green tiger stripe. I will post pictures if I get something that suits me.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-19-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

I said I was experimenting with dyes. I finally figured out the secret to a 2 tone dye job . I was not testing on my best stock of course. I will make some "tiger stripe" pens here soon.

post #11 of 23 Old 12-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Daren would you like me to cut you some pen blanks from some of this?

You can't have any from these particular pieces because they are gone but don't worry, I have tons of the stuff. Quite literally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigBloks.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	220  

Attached Images

post #12 of 23 Old 12-19-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Who wouldn't ? That is some wild looking stuff . I wouldn't mind buying a decent sized box of it really, not just pen blanks but some bigger chunks too. I see a pretty fair amount of box elder around here (yard trees, urban logger that I am) but it is bland. I will send you an e-mail soon. I have to make another post, something I am itching to show off myself.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 AM

View chriskoww's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers

You can't have any from these particular pieces because they are gone but don't worry, I have tons of the stuff. Quite literally.
I would like to know your price as well. Just bought a large and will be turning soon. Would love fbe
post #14 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 AM

View chriskoww's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskoww

I would like to know your price as well. Just bought a large and will be turning soon. Would love fbe
Lathe.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 AM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
chris, go to http://woodbarter.com/ and look for member "Kevin". Thats Texas Timbers over there and he sells and trades some awesome FBE. I just traded for a bunch of it myself and cant wait to turn some of it!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #16 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 PM

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskoww View Post

That is a 6 year old post. I bet the prices went up

John T.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM

View Evilfrog's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTTHECLOCKMAN View Post
I was about to give Darren a few pointers. Then I noticed the date of the original post, and decided I should ask him for a few pointers.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I dunno if his prices went up or not but he is very reasonable. I purchased peppermill blanks from him for around the same price as a maple peppermill blank at my local WW store. He gives a bit of a discount to WB members too.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #19 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 PM

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
I dunno if his prices went up or not but he is very reasonable. I purchased peppermill blanks from him for around the same price as a maple peppermill blank at my local WW store. He gives a bit of a discount to WB members too.

I actually was refering to the original poster. Not sure what the latest poster was talking about. Is he selling buying, making, casting????? So many questions.

John T.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I actually was refering to the original poster. Not sure what the latest poster was talking about. Is he selling buying, making, casting????? So many questions.
Oh, the latest poster was wanting prices on FBE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode