Pen Making Supplies - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 12-29-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
Pen Making Supplies

In the past I have purchased all my pen making kits and supplies from Penn State Industries. However, I am really annoyed with how long it takes them to put stuff in a box and mail it. Doesn't seem to hard to me but it takes them longer to ship it then it takes the UPS guy to deliver it. Anyway, can anyone recommend any good suppliers that ship in a timely fashion? Thanks a lot.

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Johnson View Post
In the past I have purchased all my pen making kits and supplies from Penn State Industries. However, I am really annoyed with how long it takes them to put stuff in a box and mail it. Doesn't seem to hard to me but it takes them longer to ship it then it takes the UPS guy to deliver it. Anyway, can anyone recommend any good suppliers that ship in a timely fashion? Thanks a lot.
Try these folks, some of the best vendors out there.

http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/
post #3 of 17 Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Johnson View Post
...I am really annoyed with how long it takes them to put stuff in a box and mail it.
I'll be looking at the replies myself - My second, and last purchase was the chuck I just bought. 7 days before they packed it up. Of course they grabbed my money out of paypal the second I made the purchase order. And for the next three days they sent me emails announcing all their specials. That stopped when I sent them my own email stating it was quite rude to pressure me to buy more when they hadn't even bothered fulfilling the last order yet. Hopefully there are some other companies out there with decent product and an understanding of customer service.

Insert witty signature line here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Crafts Supplies ships pretty quick. There are a few other smaller vendors that ship fast also.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #5 of 17 Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Ive been buying all my pen supplies at Woodcraft only because I can drive there and get it right now. It is about 2 times as much as PSI though. I was gonna order some stuff from PSI but with all the shipping complaints recently I might look into another supplier.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #6 of 17 Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Hickabilly

View mickit's Photo Album My Photos
Woodturningz.com is pretty quick on the draw...and the folks there are pretty good to deal with as well.

Mick

Life's too short to _________(fill in the blank)
post #7 of 17 Old 12-29-2011, 09:17 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Not to hijack but along similar lines, where do you guys get the higher end pen kits?

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #8 of 17 Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 PM

View iclight0's Photo Album My Photos
Try penmakingsupplies.com I get supplies from.there and they are fast. Shipping is only like 6.00

Last edited by iclight0; 12-29-2011 at 10:03 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-29-2011, 11:15 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
www.woodturnerscatalog.com This is an excellent place to order supplies. If you place the order before 4pm it will go out the same day. I've ordered pen kits online on a Sunday evening and it was on my porch on Tuesday. Thats FAST. I've never had a problem with them and the quality is much better than PSI. Prices are almost the same too. I would give them 5 out of 5 stars...
Donny
post #10 of 17 Old 12-29-2011, 11:27 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
Not to hijack but along similar lines, where do you guys get the higher end pen kits?
Hi. There are a few suppliers you can get the quality kits from. I know WoodCraft is a reseller of Berea kits. Here's a few links.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/index.html
http://www.bereahardwoods.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc
http://www.exoticblanks.com/
http://www.woodturningz.com/Pen_Kits.aspx
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/
http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlord For This Useful Post:
joesbucketorust (12-30-2011), Whaler (12-30-2011)
post #11 of 17 Old 12-30-2011, 12:00 AM

View boxerman's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.timberbits.com/ I here these guys are really good. There are down under though. Really good pen kits.

Craig Lorence
The Following User Says Thank You to boxerman For This Useful Post:
Whaler (12-30-2011)
post #12 of 17 Old 12-30-2011, 06:01 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I like Berea kits, almost all their resellers already mentioned. Nothing against resellers but found buying from Berea less expensive for kits and shipping.
Always check the site for Introductory products and specials before visiting resellers.

Arizona Silhoutte, Beartooth Woods and Exotic blanks all resellers of Berea kits also run specials. So worth checking those sites too for kits and blanks all wonderful people to do business with.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 PM

Woodturningz (PSI reseller) used to run 10%-15% big sale every Jan not sure if still do. I also like Wood-n-Whimsies another PSI reseller. Have to make sure buying PSI kits at both places some of the more economical kits are junk.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
Have to make sure buying PSI kits at both places some of the more economical kits are junk.
Here I go hijacking a thread again, sorry! Can you elaborate on this please? As a novice, what should I be looking at when I see those little pics online? I guess if it's on the same website, I can expect the $10 pen kit to be of higher quality than the $3, but other than that, what should I be looking for? Are there names, styles to avoid? Thanks.

Insert witty signature line here.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 PM
treen

View treen's Photo Album My Photos
Wink

Lee Valley tools normally ship the next day. Recieved an order today by post and it was ordered Tuesday. Shipped from Ontario to New Brunswick
post #16 of 17 Old 12-31-2011, 10:09 AM

Cannot tell you what pen kits to buy or not buy. Ask the vendor about quality issues and return policies before you buy. Buy what you can afford and inspect kits for quality issues when you get pen kits. Too many people making junk pen kits for myriad of reasons.

I sent back 8 Patriot kits due to quality issues with no problems. I ate cost of two kits and bushings. Berea mixed up my order, they had kits picked up at my house few days later, right kits in mail same day notified.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-31-2011, 03:27 PM

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbucketorust View Post
Here I go hijacking a thread again, sorry! Can you elaborate on this please? As a novice, what should I be looking at when I see those little pics online? I guess if it's on the same website, I can expect the $10 pen kit to be of higher quality than the $3, but other than that, what should I be looking for? Are there names, styles to avoid? Thanks.
Look at the plating and it will tell you if it is a quality kit. The better the plating of course the more money but less problems later. Always a good idea to check kits when they arrive. Some vendors such as AZ have a time limit on returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerman View Post
http://www.timberbits.com/ I here these guys are really good. There are down under though. Really good pen kits.
I will second this vendor because he has stepped up to offer a better quality kit and at lesser prices because he has them made directly for him. He passes this savings on to us. Please do not worry about shipping. He is as fast and efficient as anyone else. Probably even better and if you buy $200 or mre it is free shipping. His kits are of great quality and has some very classy upscale kits.

As far as buying from one vendor or another alot depends on what it is you are buying. If it is only kits and blanks then alot of the smaller vendors will do but if you are after lathe parts and chucks and things then bigger dealers such as PSI and CraftsUSA are where to go along with Woodcraft. I do have to laugh though at some people who complain about vendors not getting their product out the very next day. In the checkout area it states what their shipping timeframe is. You have to remember they are not only dealing with kits or blanks but so much more and have alot more customers than say an AZ or a BearTooth Woods or Exotic Blanks. Way more. Not everyone has the same results from their purchase from a particular vendor.

John T.

Last edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN; 12-31-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode