Pen Hardware Help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Pen Hardware Help

I recieved an order for a slimline pen. She requested Padauk but left the hardware finish up to me. She said she trusts my judgement. The only one she didnt want for sure was Black Titanium which is my favorite, lol. This is my first paying customer so I want to get it right. Which finish would be best with Padauk? Help!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
I recieved an order for a slimline pen. She requested Padauk but left the hardware finish up to me. She said she trusts my judgement. The only one she didnt want for sure was Black Titanium which is my favorite, lol. This is my first paying customer so I want to get it right. Which finish would be best with Padauk? Help!!

You really can't go wrong with any finish with that color wood. The key here is to get a good long lasting plating. If she blew off blk tit. then it tells me she is not inot hard colors and this leaves gold as a sft looking color. Any chromes or silver is a hard color. I would use a good plated gold. Depending on your source of kits. Padauk will darken. Good luck.

John T.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Ive been buying most of my kits from Woodcraft which is, I believe, a Berea reseller. I havnt had any plating issues yet but I just started doing this a couple months ago so I dont have anything out there to see what the long term effects of use are. Would you consider the Berea kits "quality" or should I start shopping someplace else?

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Me personally, I like a shiny silver kit with paduak. PSI rhodium will last forever. She does realize the paduak won't stay red/orange forever right?

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #5 of 10 Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 PM

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
Thanks for the reply. Ive been buying most of my kits from Woodcraft which is, I believe, a Berea reseller. I havnt had any plating issues yet but I just started doing this a couple months ago so I dont have anything out there to see what the long term effects of use are. Would you consider the Berea kits "quality" or should I start shopping someplace else?

I buy berea kits all the time from Bear Tooth Woods. The only kit i ever bought from Woodcraft is the Cambridge hybrid. Which I have since started buying from Timberbits in Aus. Better quality and better kit all around. I never do slimlines so I have nothing to compare kits to.

John T.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Moo-tivation

View VaureyWWC's Photo Album My Photos
This is the last Padauk pen that I did. Sadly enough it was with the black titanium! I really enjoyed this pen, I would think if she(?) wanted a kit she wouldn't want anything dark like that or gun metal. Perhaps Rhodium like the above said?
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/66936204

Thanks,
Jeff
post #7 of 10 Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
Me personally, I like a shiny silver kit with paduak. PSI rhodium will last forever. She does realize the paduak won't stay red/orange forever right?
Probably not. I havnt worked with Padauk before and didnt know that myself. Why color is it going to change too?

post #8 of 10 Old 01-30-2012, 10:57 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
It will eventually turn more brownish after deepening the reddish orange it starts as.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #9 of 10 Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I'm guessing you couldn't go wrong with gold kit.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I think I'm gonna play this one safe and go with gold.

Thanks for the heads up on padauk changing colors over time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode