Pen finish - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

View davidpensfan87's Photo Album My Photos
Pen finish

I am somewhat new to pen making. I currently finish my pens with seven or eight coats of friction polish and two coats of ren wax. I was wanting to know the pros and cons of CA finish and what is the best place (PSI craft supplies USA, or woodcraft) to buy it from. Also, it would seem like I would glue the blank to the bushings. Is this a common occurrence and if so, how do I not glue my bushing to the blank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-15-2012, 09:21 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I like a CA finish personally. Some guys dont like it and thats fine. Were all different. I have posted several videos in the past about applying CA. You'll have to search for them. They are not my videos but very imformative about CA.

Pro's to CA...

Very durable, polishes to a brilliant shine but you can stop short on your polishing if you like a satin type finish, very simple and quick to apply, I always get comments on the finish!!

Con's to CA...

Some folks will tell you it makes the wood feel like plastic. This is true, as you are applying multiple layers of acrylic to your pen but I have yet to have a customer say, this feels like plastic instead of wood. It stinks like mad!!!! Use CA in a well ventilated area and wear a respirator. If not, it will burn your nose and make your eyes water. The fumes have got to be really bad for you.

I get my CA at woodcraft but there are many sources for it. I have tried a few different brands but I like the Titebond brand medium the best for pens.

As for your bushings, yes you will glue the blank to the bushings. I started waxing my bushings and it helps a bit. I have also just used pliers to break the bushing off before and 99% of the time it will break clean but once it didnt and ruined a pen body. There is also plastic type bushings, cant remember the actual name, that CA dosnt stick too.

I'm getting ready to start turning pens between centers and just do away with bushings all together then I dont have to worry about gluing my bushings. You just need a 60* live center and a 60* dead center to turn between centers. The down side is you can only do one part of the pen body at a time. This also requires the use of calipers to match the body to the parts which will slow things down but make for a much nicer looking pen. I'm moving into higher end items now so its time to improve quality as well!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #3 of 9 Old 04-15-2012, 10:13 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Aside from the watery eyes and stinging nose, CA fumes aren't harmful, just annoying.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
Aside from the watery eyes and stinging nose, CA fumes aren't harmful, just annoying.
Guess you learn something new everyday. I assumed as bad as it smells and burns the nose, it had to be bad for you. I dont smell it much anymore since I started using a respirator anyhow.

Luckily my mom works at a safety supply warehouse and I made her boss a pen for Christmas, now I get all my safety equipment for free!! Respirator, cartridges, face shields, etc., etc.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
Like BassBlaster said, CA makes the pens feel acrylic, not wooden. It definitely has some nasty fumes so you want good ventilation around your lathe. I also managed to glue my fingers to things so pay more attention than I do. Don't glue your fingers to the bottle or pick your nose or anything like that when you're working with it. After all, it is superglue.

CA can be polished to a beautiful shine that rivals anything else I've seen. You don't have to polish it though so you can still get a satin finish with it. As far as I can tell, it makes an extremely durable finish too.

You do end up gluing your blank to the bushings. If you take a razor blade, you can score the CA between the blank and bushing, or slightly on the bushing side, then just break it off and clean it up with the same razor blade. I usually do this before polishing it, so that when I polish it I end up cleaning up the edge of the blank anyway. I use Titebond Medium for my CA finish. I ran out, so I picked up some titebond CA from that big blue store down the road. It's labelled as "Premium" but is the same color as medium and has the same working times as medium, so I'm assuming it is medium. I'm not sure how it works yet since I haven't used it for a finish yet.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thank you guys for the help.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM

View Ibangwood's Photo Album My Photos
Ya ca glue sucks, wood turners water based finish is amazing, with micromesh, even with with polishing your wood with it creates a glasss finish
post #8 of 9 Old 04-18-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibangwood
Ya ca glue sucks, wood turners water based finish is amazing, with micromesh, even with with polishing your wood with it creates a glasss finish
What brand of finish do you use?
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 AM

View Ibangwood's Photo Album My Photos
General finishes: water base finish clear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode