Pecan you craaazy - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
Pecan you craaazy

So Im teaching the lady to turn and she wanted something light and creamy to work on. I suggested maple but she said NO you always turn maple! So we went with Pecan which I had never turned. The outside went well rounded it out nicely sharpened the tools etc. Then we got to the inside. Got the tools as sharp as possible and went to work. GOOD NIGHT NURSE pecan HATES endgrain turning. I mean with all other woods I have encountered the endgrain can be bad sometimes but Ive never seen anything quite like this. Even with the sharpest tools I could muster and more than ample pressure it still comes out as powdered dust and takes forever to turn the en. Has anyone ever turned pecan before? Is this normal? what could be going on here that is making it so difficult. Any help would be greatly appreciated! happy turnin all,
Bond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 06:23 PM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
I've a pantload of pecan in the yard and periodically turn some...
I've found when wet, it's a dream...

When dry, the sapwood is a real pain, but the heartwood, while HARD, seems to turn nicely...

Older pic, due to no camera.

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
post #3 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 06:28 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I normally drill a hole in end grain with spindle gouge or drill bit when end grain turning and always get shavings hollowing out with a gouge or scrapper. Only wood that gives me combination of dust and shavings is spalted wood.

Pretty much use same method Richard Raffan teaches in his books and videos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

hmmm. Ive gotta get a sharpening rest/ system. Hand sharpening may not be good enough. this stuff is wet but not that wet but still its just like pure dust even when its sharp (by my standards). Will give it another shot tomorrow. Also, maybe its not pecan paulie mine has nowhere near the amount of color yours does its almost white with no brown or pink. But mine does have some of those odd brown flecs. I would call them bark inclusions if they didnt appear to be so uniform in size shape and rotation around the pith. Anybody know what those are? hmmmm might have to resharpen a time or two see if I cant figure this out. As always any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Happy turnin,
Bond
post #5 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 07:46 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Bond, get yourself the wolverine jig with varigrind. Only thing you'll regret is waiting so long to get it.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #6 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 PM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with sawdust, it will serve you well to get the wolverine and follow the setup instructions.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

lol its just a money thing gotta save for one thing at a time sharpening system is next for sure. Odd thing is it hasnt been that big of an issue till this pecan. All the pieces that ive done thus far have been from hand sharpened tools. No doubt a jig or two is on my list just gotta save to get there:) Thanks for advice though. Will have to give em the gentle thoughtful sharpen tomorrow and see if it changes... keep yall posted, happy turnin,
Bond
post #8 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 11:52 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Wildwood, drill the center out and hollow from the hole drilled to the outside. I have turned a fair amount of pecan and never had a real problem; however, it is very hard when dry.
It seems to warp more than some woods so I try to leave the walls extra thick while drying.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 10 Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 AM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with everybody!!

Get the grinding jig...

I used to drill a 1/2" or so hole in the middle just as a depth gauge, but since I've gotten a Jacob's chuck, I'll use a big, honkin' Forsner bit...

Unless I'm trying to save the middle piece, of course.

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I agree. The Wolverine and Ellsworth jig is what I use. I'm guessing after you get either setup you'll realize that you only thought the tool were sharp before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode