Owner supplied bed, for wood lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 02-14-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

View harryschroeter's Photo Album My Photos
Question Owner supplied bed, for wood lathe

I need to make a 52" long cylinder from wood by turning a piece of wood that is initially a little bigger than 4" square, by 52" long. The middle 48" of the piece is to be 4" dia, +/- 1/16" or less. At each end of the piece, the diameter is to be 2" long by 3" dia, again +/- 1/16" or less.
Does anybody manufacture a drive end with a base for a drive motor and chuck, a turning piece support with rollers, a cutting tool support, and a tail piece with a live center, as separate pieces. I would supply the bed, made of either a structural steel member (such as a standard shape, say a 4x4 "I" or "H" beam), or a sturdy piece of wood, (say a 6" high x 2" wide finished dimensions wood base)? I'd clamp the separate chucked end, support roller, cutting tool guide, and tail piece to the bed as needed, to turn the 52" long x 4" wood piece, made of maple or clear pine laminate to as accurately dimensioned cylinder cylinder as possible, which will be the basis for a black powder gun rifling machine.

I've operated metal lathes for years, but have no experience with wood turning. Any advice or comments would really be appreciated. Thanks, Harry Schroeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Many of the cast iron bed wood lathes are made to accept bed extensions, which means the whole assembly is open ended and amenable to adding a well built homemade extension to your specs. Look up a few at your local supplier of Delta or Jet, etc., and see what you think you can do.
I would have to wonder if some of these will take multiple bed extensions to get the size you need. Alternately the extension bed can be separately mounted on a wood bed at the proper distance and alignment for your needs if an extended toolrest can be supplied.

Last edited by Gary Beasley; 02-14-2010 at 07:09 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-14-2010, 07:16 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
The new Delta mini lathe will take many bed extensions and get as long as you need.
You might be able to find used parts on ebay to build your own lathe. Since you can turn this between centers you could just build one. I've built 2 wooden lathes with some metal parts. Do a search for homebuilt lathes and you should find some good info.

Tags
52" between centers, lathe, wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode