Orange exotic wood...smells really strong, and burns sinus - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

View Wonderwood's Photo Album My Photos
Orange exotic wood...smells really strong, and burns sinus

I got my Lathe today, and picked up a box of exotic cut offs to just play around with. The first one I tried was Orange in color...and it had a very strong odor while turning...and a nasty burning in the sinus....I had a face shield on...and still it burned...eyes, and nose. Is this normal, and can you tell me what type of wood...it may of been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 AM
havin fun gettin it done

View wdkits1's Photo Album My Photos
Wood I.D.

I use a large assortment of woods in my Intarsia and my best guess is that you were working with African Padauk. Many folks that work with this wood experience the symptoms that you mention. The dust created is very irritating.
Mike
www.midlothianwoodworks.com
post #3 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Orange exotic wood smells really strong

Question for Mike.I have been using padauk for yrs and love to work with it,but it is a redish color.What is the difference in this?Even without the respirator,I don't get any of those symptons with this wood,are they from different area's ? I do where the trend respirator when turn exotic woods though,especially if its dry.
Thanks Ken

Last edited by The woodsman; 02-20-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
havin fun gettin it done

View wdkits1's Photo Album My Photos
Padauk

Hi Ken
There are several species of padauk , the most common being the African. I too don't have any problems working with it but certain folks do have bad reactions to the dust.I used to use padauk in my intarsia because of it's orange/red color but found out over time that it darkens up considerably so I don't use it much any more. I now use Pernambuco for any thing that requires a bright orange color in the Intarsia pieces that I create.
Mike
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
WW,
Certain woods can cause allergic reactions, but not everyone is allergic to the same types of wood. If you find something that bothers you, either don't turn it anymore, or take some proper precautions to limit your exposure. A good dust collector is a good investment in your long-term health, especially when you are sanding. Don't cut yourself short when it comes to health and safety.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM

View Jack Giovo's Photo Album My Photos
I can agree with Mike - different stuff effects each of us differently but anything that was making me feel different I would have my mask on under my face shield always when sanding - I used to work in an industry that preached safety - not that I never got cut - but you got to have those lungs and if it is getting into your sinus cavity and effecting them that does not seem good to me - like Mike says - get dust collection and a mask of some sort - then look at the crap that mask picks up.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
orange exotic woods smells really strong

Thanks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkits1 View Post
Hi Ken
There are several species of padauk , the most common being the African. I too don't have any problems working with it but certain folks do have bad reactions to the dust.I used to use padauk in my intarsia because of it's orange/red color but found out over time that it darkens up considerably so I don't use it much any more. I now use Pernambuco for any thing that requires a bright orange color in the Intarsia pieces that I create.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode