Woodworking Talk banner

Old Wood Lathe ID

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  erik r. 
#1 ·
Hello all! I have inherited an old belt driven woodworking lathe and am very excited to get started working with it. It has been awhile since it was used, so I first went to break everything but the headstock spindle down to apply some wd-40 and general cleaning. When I went to turn it on it looked like everything was working fine, but when I put a small block onto the lathe and turned it on, the spindle did not spin (just the spindle pulley). Because of this I wanted to break down the entire spindle and have a look at what was going on.

I kinda wish I had posted before doing this, but every part seemed to be firmly stuck on. After many days of P.B. Blaster and slow leverage with a crowbar, I got the back collet/threaded piece off. I had already taken the set screws out of the front collet and spindle pulley and removed the front plate. Unfortunately the back bearing was also very stuck. I eventually got it off through the same slow process of P.B. Blaster and crowbar, but when it was almost off I wasn't able to gain any leverage to remove it the last little bit. I got a little impatient and brought in the dead-blow hammer. This did get the bearing off, but I accidentally cracked a piece of the spindle pulley off.

Long story short: I would really appreciate help ID'ing the lathe as the serial # and make and model are not present. Anyone's opinion on the state of the spindle would be greatly appreciated. It looks like two patches have been filled or something were the spindle pulley set screws are supposed to tighten down, I don't know if this is normal. Just to the left of these patches (or towards the front of the spindle) a raised mark is preventing the front collet from sliding down and being removed. The front bearing doesn't want to move, and I don't see a C-Clamp holding it in place.

Of secondary importance, the other belt driven tools I inherited all had a way to adjust the tension to change the speed of the belt on the pulleys or remove it entirely. I could not see a way to do this on the lathe and simply cut the belt off as it needed replacing anyways. The motor is bolted down to a board and the board is bolted to the lathe table. The headstock didn't have any adjustments either.

Of third importance, I'm not sure what threading the front and back of the headstock spindle are. Any help identifying them would be amazing

Of final importance, I was wondering how you normally handle multiple tools for the tailstock quill. I'm looking at getting a 60 degree cone and am not sure how to attach it. I don't think I can remove the current piece in my tailstock quill, do you normally purchase a quill per tool or should there be a way to switch them out.

I've attached a bunch of photos of the lathe and the broken down headstock spindle. I really appreciate everyone's time and help on this.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you. Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

I'm no expert on these but for attaching anything to the tailstock I would imagine it's a Morse Taper, probably #2. For the belt adjustment, was the motor bolted down solidly or is there an adjustment screw to lift or lower one side of the motor? Or was there an idler pulley mounted in the drive path at one point?

David

#4 · (Edited)
Hey David,

Thank you for the response. I went to my profile and added a location, but did not see where to edit my signature.

Yeah, its a Morse Taper. I don't know why, but I was thinking that when I took it out to clean and oil it, that the back was sealed. So I didn't think the piece in the quill was removable. I took it out again and its open and I easily knocked the current part out. My bad.

The motor is solidly mounted with four bolts and there is not an idler pulley or a place for one (which I'm assuming would be third pulley between the motor and spindle that could be adjusted to change tension). I'm kinda thinking he mounted the motor and just never intended to adjust the speed of the lathe. I couldn't even move the belt to a different step of the pulley. My best thought at the moment is to unmount the motor and attach it to a small board that I could hinge to the main board. Maybe have a way to lock it down to hold the tension? Would you recommend moving to a variable speed/more current electric motor then?

- Warren (I'll get my name into my signature as soon as I figure out how to)

#6 ·
Glad you found that on the tailstock, Warren. I've seen many tools with adjustments just like you're describing and they work just fine. As for upgrading to a newer motor and electronics I guess you'll have to decide how much you want to put into this lathe. If it were me I would start out with the hinge and board for adjustment and see how well the rest of it works before putting any real money into the lathe. You may decide you need a bigger lathe or one with newer and more modern features.

As for your signature, click on User CP in the top right of this page, then go to Edit Signature on the left side panel.

David

#7 ·
At this stage of the game determining the manufacturer will likely not do you much good, it is pretty well a matter of finding something that will fit, bearings for example are standard off the shelf items.

Hard to tell exactly but it would appear that the spindle is threaded 1" - 8 TPI which is common to many lathes, I would take the spindle to a local tool supplier while it is out of the lathe to check what fits. Once you have confirmed the size it is probably better to shop online for any actual purchases.

You should be able to source a new stock pulley or perhaps check Ebay for a used one, they do show up, you may have to communicate with the seller to get the right size bore.

I would not change the drive until you get the feel of the lathe, as has been said the system you have is quite popular with many turners.

While it is apart you can install a standard vee belt, when it comes time to replace it you may want to go with a link belt so you don't have to remove the spindle again.

Good luck, and have fun.

#10 ·
That is really a helpful book, However, I would like to put in a plug for carbide turning tools. I have been turning for over 50 years, using traditional cutters, however recently gave carbides a try, and I am sold on them...so easy to keep sharp, and they will do anything that the traditional tools will do....I know some old timers will jump in and say there is no learning curve with carbides, that they are too easy to use...Well, that is their beauty,

#12 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, comments, and suggestions!

Frank, I have saved a link to that article/book and will be reading all of it! Unfortunately the spindle is not 1" 8tpi, it is slightly larger in diameter (I tried threading a 1" 8tpi male thread into the faceplate that I have that matches my spindle to no success). I only found this out today, but I'll be swinging into Home Depot to get supplies to remount the motor and am going to take the spindle and see what I can find out.

Again thank you for the feedback everyone!

(Hopefully signature will show up as I have set it)

#16 ·
1939 MONGOMERY WARD HEAVY DUTY, THEYRE THE ONES THAT HAVE A "V" WAY. IN ADDITION THEY ALSO HAVE A TOOL ASSEMBLY FOR CUTTING METAL . LOOKING FOR THAT PART MYSELF. SUPPOSEDELY THE THREADS ARE 8TPI ON A 1 1/4", THOUGH I CHECKED WITH MY MICROMETER AND IT READ 1 1/8". I HAVE A FACEPLATE THAT FITS 1" 8TPI IT DID NOT FIT, OF COURSE. YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET AN ADAPTER FROM 1 1/4"-8TPI TO 3/4" 16 TPI. OITHER THAN THAT IT HAS #2 MORTIS TAPER. MINE IS ON A J-LINE CABNET AND HAD DIFFICULTY FINDING OUT WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS. THE CABNET HAS A BOARD ON A HINGE THAT THE MOTOR BOLTS ON TO AND THE BELT GOES UP AND OUT THE TOP OF THE CABNET TO THE HEADSTOCK. ITS KIND OF "IFFY" BUT IT WORKS. NEVER TOOK IT APART AS FAR AS YOU HAVE.

#18 ·
ALSO ON MY HEADSTOCK THERE IS A WASHER WITH 3 SCREWS HOLDING THE WASHER OVER THE BEARING. IM LED TO BELIEVE THATS WHATS HOLDING IT ALL TOGETHER(ON MINE OF COURSE). HAVE NOT VENTURED MUCH FURTHER. MINE IS OPERATIONAL I JUST DONT TRUST USING IT WITHOUT A CHUCK. THE HEADSTOCK HAS A 4 STAGE PULLEY AS DOES THE MOTOR FOR YOUR SPEED ADJUSTMENT. I HAVE NOT TRIED TO CONTACT MONTGOMERY WARD FOR ANY PARTS OR AFTERMARKET PARTS, THEREFORE I GUESS IT IS OPEN SEASON FOR INQUIRY, GOOD LUCK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.