Old School - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

View Horatio's Photo Album My Photos
Old School

My father in law has an odd assortment of old and strange tools in his shop. He's a bit of a collector but more a tinkerer and reclaimer. The coolest is probably the 100 year old metal lathe they were going to throw out where he worked before semi-retiring. He says it was originally steam powered and was converted to electric. Being made to turn metal, it obviously hogs wood pretty easily.

This afternoon I got a safety training session and got turned loose on it. I made a mallet out of a mesquite blank he had laying around. The log on there in one picture is pecan and my next project.

Old School-transfer-1838.jpg
Old School-transfer-1839.jpg
Old School-transfer-1840.jpg
Old School-transfer-1842.jpg

Last edited by Horatio; 04-27-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
We have the exact same lathe in the shop at work. No one uses it. Ive been dieing to play with it but its not hooked up to power. Its definately an older machine but I highly doubt it was ever steam powered. The one we have at work has the exact same motor/pully/belt contraption as your pic. Its definately a very cool machine!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #3 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 PM

View Billy De's Photo Album My Photos
Horatio that is so cool your FIL is definitely a man of taste,that's my idea of a lathe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Cowboy up and do just it

View vursenbach's Photo Album My Photos
Way cool

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

Typed from iPhone, please forgive the fat fingers
post #5 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 PM

View Ben M's Photo Album My Photos
Jealous. Is that a leather drive belt?

I was always taught not to cut wood on metalworking machines---that sawdust would get into all of the exposed sliding ways, drive screws, etc., sop up all the lubricant, and turn into muck.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Its almost 100 years old and works fine. Super quiet, surprisingly. It used to be a leather belt drive but the belt has been replaced with something newer. It has two little oil containers, my FIL put regular old motor oil in it when we fired it up and again after we ate lunch. That said, it doesn't seem to throw oil at all and all the moving parts move smoothly.

But that's just my FIL. He's an odd duck. He's mostly retired from a big research complex (Southwest Research Institute) and this machine was used to fabricate parts for testing and whatnot. They went to junk it and he took it home instead. He's got a bench grinder he made with a washing machine motor that I'll try and get pic of next time I'm over.

Hehe, I've only gotten to use it one day but I have an open invitation to go over any time I want and work on it. I have my own projects (cedar garden bench) I need to finish up but I will certainly be spending time with it.

Oh, and the mesquite mallet I made works better than the old rubber mallet I had!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 PM

View cms83's Photo Album My Photos
I am restoring a 1934 south bend metal lathe and a 1940's somin buffalo forge drill press,those old machines are great.What brand is it?and size?

Last edited by cms83; 04-29-2012 at 08:38 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms83 View Post
I am restoring a 1934 south bend metal lathe and a 1940's somin buffalo forge drill press,those old machines are great.What brand is it?and size?

I'll find out when I get a chance to play with it again. I've got alot of stuff to do this week, but Friday, I should be able to go play some more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode