Odd lathe tool with piece brazed on end. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
Odd lathe tool with piece brazed on end.

I still have my 4 Sears carbon steel tools from 40 yrs ago. I acquired two sets of High speed tools at a flea market. Last Saturday I was at another flea market and bought a box of lathe tools. Some are standard shaped tools and some, I believe are for spinning metal (very husky with no sharp edges.) Then there is one that I can't quite figure out. The main shank of the tool is about 5/16 square and it has a piece of metal of some kind brazed on top the end of the square stock. The piece of metal is just slightly wider than the steel shank and perhaps 1.25 inches long. There are no markings on the piece at all. It looks like some kind of scraper. It only has an edge on the square end/ I tried it out this morning and it worked alot like a wide parting tool and hogged wood out pretty good. I was turning some elm and it left a pretty smooth surface. Never saw anything like it. Any clues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-22-2016, 07:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
either carbide or tool steel

Probably a special tool made from carbide or tool steel brazed on the end. Hit it lightly with a file. If it won't cut, you know it's hardened. You may have to use a "green" grinding wheel to sharpen it if it's carbide.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2016, 10:02 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like a homemade carbide tool to me. Carbides about the only thing that would survive the brazing process and still hold an edge.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-23-2016, 12:38 AM

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
Used to do a fair amount of Silver soldering carbide to steel ( making "reamers") when in the cold heading tooling part of my career....
Green wheels were for roughing in then final grind was with a diamond wheel .
Grinding carbide is toxic wear a respirator when grinding.

Knot Stumped ...just confused once in a while.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-23-2016, 07:24 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
If you ever have a chance to view Del Stubbs turning video (early 80's) he shows a similar. HSS was expensive and small piece was brazed to the end of standard steel bar. Only the end was ground and presented to the work from face grain only. For bowls he worked from the tailstock area cutting towards the head stock.
OK, mid 80's not early 80's. :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 7 Old 10-25-2016, 03:16 AM

View Bill Boehme's Photo Album My Photos
I was going to suggest that it is probably a home made tool and the brazed tip is either Tantung or Stellite 6.

Bill Boehme
My Photo Gallery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode