O.K. boys...Women can turn too! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 07-16-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Kevin's Boss

View Mrs. Texas Timbers's Photo Album My Photos
O.K. boys...Women can turn too!

All kidding aside, turning is so addicting. It is so much fun to see the colors of the wood just pop out as the interior is exposed. Kind of like waiting to see what toy you get in the bottom of the "Cracker Jack" box!

Night before last, Mr. TT presented me with this huge block of octagon shaped wood ready to be turned on the lathe. Right away, I thought of a base for a table lamp...the size just seemed to warrant it. Boy, things sure look different horizontally, than vertically. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with my first turning project. I know the look will change even more once I select the hardware and lamp shade...thinking about making my own lamp shade...if I can wait that long (any ideas on different materials)?

My pics are in my album titled, "My First Turnings".
I will post more pics once I'm able to plug it in!

Name:  Terry'sTurn1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  Terry'sTurn2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  70.8 KB

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 07-16-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Add picture in thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-16-2010, 09:59 AM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Go for it!Looks like a lamp written all over it.Gary/Itchy

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Kevin's Boss

Funny you said that Itchy...that's exactly what Mr. TT said as I stood there in front of the beast wondering what the heck I was getting myself into ..."Go for it"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-16-2010, 01:36 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Were you refering to the lamp blank as the Beast?Heh Heh!

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Of course women can turn. Many of my favorite turners are women. One of them is coming up here to teach next week. Pat Matranga has been a friend for many years. She'll be teaching at the craft center where I do my workshops. I will definitely go visit her.
Betty Scarpino is the editor of American Woodturner and is a fabulous turner. She is actually one of the first professional turners I ever met, many many, well too many year ago.
Marilyn Campbell of canada is really one of my favorites. I love what she does. I was fortunate enough to share demo rooms with her about 6 or 7 years ago.
I've taught quite a few women in my classes and they are quite often the best students. They usually listen to what you say and actually try it. Older men will go back to doing it their way right or wrong.
Good job on the lamps. If you want to make more look up lamps online or go to the lamp store and take notes of what shapes you like and how the shapes work together. That's the fastest way I know to learn how to design a lamp.
Here is my latest lamp. I call it the Cardiac lamp. The electronic Defibrilator actually turns on the lamp when you touch the button.
Attached Images

post #6 of 17 Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Kevin's Boss

That's a very cool lamp. A lot of creativity and thought went into it; your friendly cardiologist would probably love one! I was practicing for the most part; just seeing what I could come up with for the most part with just one or two tools.

To Itchy...yes, I was referring to the lamp blank as the beast. I must say, using these tools for the first time is kind of intimidating. Mr. TT kept reminding me how dangerous this can all be..."safety first"!
post #7 of 17 Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Texas Timbers View Post
. . . TT kept reminding me how dangerous this can all be..."safety first"!
And you promised to always wear your hair in a bun.

For any other women who may come along later and read this thread:

When I pointed out that getting her hair caught in the lathe could scalp her, she said "My hair isn't long enough". So I reminded her of the natural human instinct we all have when we drop something (like a gouge) . . . we immediately bend over to pick it up. That puts her hair right there at the spinning stuff.

The light bulb came on and she went straight away into the house and got a hair thingy. Being a RN she knew of cases where women have been killed from getting hair caught in various machinery.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-16-2010, 07:11 PM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
yea nothing dangling around the spinny thing is a good thing it dosn,t forgive mistakes. Oh nice lamp/candle stick/or unique rolling pin its a good job.

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #9 of 17 Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
That's really nice. I love the different colours in the wood. For a newbee to turning, you're off to a great start and I'll bet that YOU didn't break a roughing gouge like SOME people we know.

As far as ideas for the shade, why not try your hand at some other woodworking. I'm thinking wooden slats like this.

Name:  SaunaAcc-Lampshade_thumb.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  22.6 KB

But it would be circular of course. You could even line the slats with an opaque plastic so that any interior joinery would be hidden. A plastic like they have used on these shades would be the idea that I was thinking.

Name:  P11477447a.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  19.0 KB

Anyway, keep up the turning. Let us know what you decided and be sure to post photos of the finished product.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
Mrs. Texas Timbers (07-17-2010)
post #10 of 17 Old 07-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
OK boys,woman can turn to

WTG there Mrs TT I'm sure you will be a rich and famous lady turn one day. As for the hair,you definitely want to keep it attatched to the scalp.I knew a lady that worked at B&D back in the 70's that had her hair caught in a drill press. She recovered just fine,but was a hurtin little kitty for a while,so be safe and have fun.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #11 of 17 Old 07-17-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Kevin's Boss

That's an interesting idea for the lamp shade, Ken. Reminds me of the Japanese sliding panel walls and hinged screens.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
That is a very nice looking lamp base. I love the colors. Appartenly the lamp thinks so too parading around in front of the mirror like that! I think we should put a bubble on top and have a caption contest with that one. :o) Joking aside, I can't wait to see the finished product.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-17-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Kevin's Boss

Quote from Woodsman:

"As for the hair,you definitely want to keep it attatched to the scalp.I knew a lady that worked at B&D back in the 70's that had her hair caught in a drill press".

My FIL told me about two women he knew; each got their hair caught in a ceiling fan...scalped them. One lived.

Needless to say, my long ponytail gets wrapped into a bun anytime I am around machinery.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-17-2010, 11:30 AM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work Mrs. TT. That is going to make a great looking lamp. Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep up the good work.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
post #15 of 17 Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
So that's why I don't have any hair on my forehead. Safety, yea thats it. God is helping me with that hair problem. :)
post #16 of 17 Old 07-18-2010, 08:00 PM

View jlhaslip's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to jlhaslip
Very nice lamp base.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

The Pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity while the Optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty...
post #17 of 17 Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work Mrs TT especially for your first time. One day I want to get a lathe and start turning. You do have an advantage over the rest of us because Mr TT can keep you supplied with all kind of nice turning stock for practice.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode