Now I need a sharpening system - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 10-18-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
Now I need a sharpening system

I am looking at the Rikon Slow Speed Grinder 80-805 (139.00)
http://www.amazon.com/RIKON-Power-To.../dp/B00H2B78YG

Also, what do you guys think about the Wolverine sharpening jig?
(93.00)
http://www.amazon.com/Oneway-2291-Wo...ZC4G7S82YGA5HZ

I sharpen my woodworking chisels and planes by hand now. But with me starting off with a lathe I thought these would be good.

I have heard yea's and nea's about the jig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-18-2015, 10:01 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
You will also need a vari-grind to sharpen wood turning tools. The Wolverine system is worth every cent it cost. I'm not sure how well the wolverine system would sharpen hand plane blades, but it is excellent for wood turning tools. Anybody that doesn't like the jig probably has 20 years experience sharpening free hand. I have one of the cheap no brand slow speed grinders they sell at wood craft for $99. Now I need a sharpening system-image-384771541.jpg

Last edited by hwebb99; 10-18-2015 at 10:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hwebb99 For This Useful Post:
mengtian (10-18-2015)
post #3 of 13 Old 10-18-2015, 10:13 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I got the low speed grinder, the wolverine jig and a CBN wheel. With this setup, even I can but a good edge on a turning tool without burning it. If I can do this, it must be a good setup!
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickstep For This Useful Post:
mengtian (10-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-18-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwebb99 View Post
You will also need a vari-grind to sharpen wood turning tools. The Wolverine system is worth every cent it cost. I'm not sure how well the wolverine system would sharpen hand plane blades, but it is excellent for wood turning tools. Anybody that doesn't like the jig probably has 20 years experience sharpening free hand. I have one of the cheap no brand slow speed grinders they sell at wood craft for $99. Attachment 190746
I doubt I would use it for my planes. It really does not take much upkeep once you get a system down. Since I do lots of handtool woodworking I have taken care of them. The thought of putting them to a grinder raises the hair on my neck
post #5 of 13 Old 10-18-2015, 11:06 AM

View 9thousandfeet's Photo Album My Photos
The Wolverine sharpening jig, used with the Vari-Grind which hwebb mentions, will be a satisfactory sharpening system for the rest of your life.

Oneway also makes something called the Vari-Grind II, which also works but is not the one you should buy. The original Vari-Grind pictured in hwebb's comment is the way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9thousandfeet For This Useful Post:
Hilltopper46 (10-18-2015)
post #6 of 13 Old 10-18-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Just ordered the Rikon, Wolfverine sharpening jig and vari-grind
post #7 of 13 Old 10-18-2015, 11:16 PM

I don't think you will be disappointed. You might want to upgrade the grinder wheels, but I have similar wheels on my grinder that work fine.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-21-2015, 08:45 AM

View Woodychips's Photo Album My Photos
If you can afford them, CBN wheels are the way to go. Friable wheels wear and change in shape and diameter. CBN wheels give me the same contour grind each time. I'll never go back.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-21-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodychips View Post
If you can afford them, CBN wheels are the way to go. Friable wheels wear and change in shape and diameter. CBN wheels give me the same contour grind each time. I'll never go back.
I will see how well I do with the wheels that come with it first I can upgrade later after I get some practice in.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-21-2015, 12:25 PM

View revjerry's Photo Album My Photos
Wheels

Okay. I've gone here before but you must have missed it. Simply put, you CAN'T afford any wheel except a CBN wheel. Think it through. You buy cheap, you get cheap. Norton white wheels are great. Except, You have to true them up and keep them that way. Every time you touch a piece of metal to one, you loose a little. They work good as long as you keep adjusting them, moving your guides in, and in, and in. Pretty soon, you buy a new one. How long does it take to wear one out?

A CBN wheel NEVER needs to be trued up. You buy one, ONE TIME, and someone in your family gets to inherit it, because you don't wear them down. Set your jigs in place ONE TIME. The wheels stay the same size forever.

So, the choice is simple. Buy less expensive and replace them over and over plus the anxiety of having to adjust them through their useful life time. OR, get the CBN, set things up once and always have a great wheel ready for you when ever you need it.

Pretty simple choice.

Jerry
post #11 of 13 Old 10-21-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjerry View Post
Okay. I've gone here before but you must have missed it. Simply put, you CAN'T afford any wheel except a CBN wheel. Think it through. You buy cheap, you get cheap. Norton white wheels are great. Except, You have to true them up and keep them that way. Every time you touch a piece of metal to one, you loose a little. They work good as long as you keep adjusting them, moving your guides in, and in, and in. Pretty soon, you buy a new one. How long does it take to wear one out?

A CBN wheel NEVER needs to be trued up. You buy one, ONE TIME, and someone in your family gets to inherit it, because you don't wear them down. Set your jigs in place ONE TIME. The wheels stay the same size forever.

So, the choice is simple. Buy less expensive and replace them over and over plus the anxiety of having to adjust them through their useful life time. OR, get the CBN, set things up once and always have a great wheel ready for you when ever you need it.

Pretty simple choice.

Jerry
You do realize the Rikon comes with the wheels. I did not purchase them separately. Nobody is dismissing the "better" wheels. When I do buy new wheels I will let you know what I get OK
post #12 of 13 Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
mengtian: there's another small tool that you should buy: an angle measuring device, I've read that the digital ones are under $20. Mine is just mechanical, meant for measuring tip angles on drill bits, etc.
I maintained a set of a dozen Sorbey lathe tools in return for lathe time. Quite a range of bevel angles. I'm sure that they are what they are for a reason.

For bed-time reading, try ch 10: Turning Tools in Leonard Lee's book: The Complete Guide To Sharpening. ISBN 1-56158-067-8. His kids sell it in Lee Valley.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T. For This Useful Post:
mengtian (10-21-2015)
post #13 of 13 Old 10-21-2015, 03:37 PM

I'm still using the wheels that came on my grinder. When they wear out I will replace them with CBN wheels. My grinder came with the decent white wheels, not the cheaper grey crappers.
The Following User Says Thank You to hwebb99 For This Useful Post:
mengtian (10-21-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode