nova g3 chuck & jaw package - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
nova g3 chuck & jaw package

Looking for reviews on WC package deal on the nova g3 chuck & jaw package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Can be a good deal, with insert $200 plus shipping? taxes?
You can get it new on the bay for $125 including insert and shipping (and standard 50mm jaws).
Depends on if you need/want the other jaws that come with it. The pin jaws are definately good imho. I would rather have the 35mm spigot rather than 35mm bowl for greater versitality. I have never used cole jaws but understand a lot collect dust after a few uses. If you use them all it is a great deal.
I have a G3 (and three other Nova chucks) and they all perform excellent.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaladin For This Useful Post:
Bob Willing (11-10-2011)
post #3 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaladin View Post
Can be a good deal, with insert $200 plus shipping? taxes?
You can get it new on the bay for $125 including insert and shipping (and standard 50mm jaws).
Depends on if you need/want the other jaws that come with it. The pin jaws are definately good imho. I would rather have the 35mm spigot rather than 35mm bowl for greater versitality. I have never used cole jaws but understand a lot collect dust after a few uses. If you use them all it is a great deal.
I have a G3 (and three other Nova chucks) and they all perform excellent.

Are all of the nova chuck jaws interchangable, because I have the midi, and when I bought it I bought the combo with 3 sets of jaws including the cole jaws? If they are than what you say makes for a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
All of the Nova jaws should be interchangeable over all of the chucks. This does not mean the very large jaws can be used with small chucks even though they can be mounted. That is one of the reasons they are so popular.
Here is a link to their jaws http://www.teknatool.com/products/chuck_accessories/index.htm
The following is just my reasoning….
You will note the contracting action is about 3/8” diameter for the pin jaws, 25mm bowl jaws, and the 35mm bowl jaws. While not bad and give a wide range it is easy to duplicate the contracting action with jaws. When I purchased additional jaw I went with the 25mm bowl (could have been the pin jaws just as easily as they are basically the same size).
In the spigot jaws they offer 35mm and 45mm. The spigot jaws are very deep and will carry unsupported items (from the tailstock) such as small boxes etc. I bought a set of the 35mm as the length capacity was the same with either but expansion using the 45mm was almost equal to the 50mm jaws that came with my chucks. The ability of a 35mm recess was much more useful than a 45mm recess for me.
I assume this is the set you have? http://www.teknatool.com/products/chuck_accessories/Mini_jaw_set.htm
Any G3 that I know of comes with the standard 50mm jaws.
Note also, you can buy the G3 refurbished (with warranty) from the service center for $75 and then buy whatever additional jaw sets you wish to go with them. http://novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm

Nothing like a long drawn out answer to a simple question.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaladin For This Useful Post:
Bob Willing (11-11-2011)
post #5 of 6 Old 11-11-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Actually I have this chuck http://novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONE...ck-48111-R.htm. Again thanks for the links and the info
post #6 of 6 Old 11-11-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

I purchased the "recon" chuck, but it came to $108.00 which included the shipping and paying for the insert which was not included. Still a savings!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode