Nova DVR XP vs Jet 16 X 42 Lathes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

View SRogers93's Photo Album My Photos
Nova DVR XP vs Jet 16 X 42 Lathes

I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has used these two and give me an idea of which one to purchase. They both seem like good lathes and with only $100 difference in the price that is not going to break me by any means. Thanks ahead of time.

Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I have demonstrated on both. My preference is for the Jet. I wish I could remember what it was I didn't like about the electronics on the DVR. something about having to set the speed every time you turned it off, or stepping through the speeds. I guess you would get used to it but I found it annoying.
I was also very concerned about the motor being a special piece that may not be easy to replace years down the road when this lathe is no longer made. That is a concern for me because I have seen a lot of lathes come and go over the years.
With the Jet, everything on there could be replaced by aftermarket parts of rebuilt by a machinist. I went with the Powermatic when upgrading but had looked at the 2 lathes you are looking at very closely. At that time I had the Nova 3000 so stepping up to the DVR would have been a good step.
My only complaint with the Jet is the handwheel, or lack therof. I use the handwheel a lot for different tasks. The jet has a sort of bar type handwheel instead of a wheel type. I think I would get used to it very quickly it's just a big change from my lathe.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 PM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
I have had both lathes and my own personal preference would be the Nova. Both are very good lathes for the money. Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-10-2009, 10:13 AM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
I also have turned on both, my own personal preference would be the Jet. I just felt more comfortable on the Jet. both are good lathes. lets us know which way you go.

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode