Nova Chuck Problem - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

View nblumert's Photo Album My Photos
Nova Chuck Problem

I just got this chuck for my jet mini lathe. I put the adapter on, and then screwed the chuck onto that. I turn the lathe on and the chuck has a wobble when it spins. I tried to take it off and screw it back on, but it still does the same thing. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Nick

This is a video of the chuck:
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...=NovaChuck.mp4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-17-2011, 11:46 PM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would return it for a replacement.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-18-2011, 01:36 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Yeah, I'd return it. Did you put an indicator on the lathe spindle, then the chuck?

Harrison, at your service!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-18-2011, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. A. S. View Post
Yeah, I'd return it. Did you put an indicator on the lathe spindle, then the chuck?
Not sure what you mean. I'm pretty new to the lathe.
Nick
post #5 of 11 Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nblumert View Post
I put the adapter on, and then screwed the chuck onto that. I turn the lathe on and the chuck has a wobble when it spins. I tried to take it off and screw it back on, but it still does the same thing. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Nick
I can't tell which chuck it is from the video. From your description, you put the adapter on the spindle first, then screwed the chuck on?
The adapter should be screwed into the chuck first and locked with the set screw. When you have the adapter out, check for any shards/chads of steel remaining inside from the drilling of holes into the chuck body. It only takes a very small piece to keep the insert from seating properly. Clean it out well with a brush. (This happened with my G3 and as soon as I cleaned it it ran perfectly.
Is yours the Nova insert? Some places may still be selling their generic inserts which are not long enough and will not seat in the chuck body properly. If you paid $7 or so you probably have a generic an an almost 100% likelyhood of runout.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaladin View Post
I can't tell which chuck it is from the video. From your description, you put the adapter on the spindle first, then screwed the chuck on?
The adapter should be screwed into the chuck first and locked with the set screw. When you have the adapter out, check for any shards/chads of steel remaining inside from the drilling of holes into the chuck body. It only takes a very small piece to keep the insert from seating properly. Clean it out well with a brush. (This happened with my G3 and as soon as I cleaned it it ran perfectly.
Is yours the Nova insert? Some places may still be selling their generic inserts which are not long enough and will not seat in the chuck body properly. If you paid $7 or so you probably have a generic an an almost 100% likelyhood of runout.
The adapter would bottom out on the chuck, and when the set screw would be tightened, it would screw down onto the threads of the adapter. If anything, it seemed like the adapter was a little too long for the chuck. The adapter and everything came as a set with the chuck. It was all from teknatool, not a different company.
Nick
post #7 of 11 Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 PM

View R.J.'s Photo Album My Photos
On video it is not visible how to fasten a cartridge{patron}.
If all of you have made correctly and there is a fluctuation it is a factory marriage{spoilage}!
I worked as the turner, such cannot be.

Last edited by R.J.; 02-18-2011 at 08:56 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 PM

View unclewayne17's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe this will help

Check that your chuck is connected to the adapter correctly. Check that the set screw is seated properly. Put something in the jaws that you know is round (metal is prefured), put a indicater on your took rest to see if the round stock is running true. As said before make sure you are not using discount parts, by the look of it the chuck is running out of round.
If all else fails take back to where you got it and have them look at it. If they are a good woodworking store they will be glad to help you. If not ask for your money back and go somewhere else. All else has been said before. Good Luck! God Bless.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-20-2011, 10:02 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nblumert View Post
If anything, it seemed like the adapter was a little too long for the chuck.
The insert does not fit flush with the back of the chuck body...usually about a 1/8" gap on purpose so it seems you do have the correct insert. My only other suggestion is to call the Teknatool service center or if purchased locally take back to the store and run on one of their lathes. You should be able to tell then if it is the chuck/insert or the spindle on your lathe.
Hope you get it resolved soon.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I bought the chuck online. I sent it back for a refund, I will purchase another one and hopefully it will work better than the first one did.
Nick
post #11 of 11 Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 PM

View unclewayne17's Photo Album My Photos
where to buy

Go to your local Woodcrafter and buy it. Have them test it out on one of there lathes so you can be sure it works just fine. Enjay it I do mine, Pick up some jawes too you will want to have them for your projects.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode