No fancy tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
No fancy tools

Opened this thread to show can turn side or end grain with just bowl, spindle gouges, and round nose scrappers optional.

Turned the small holly bowl with just a ˝” bowl gouge and finished with Lacquer.

The little Oak end grain weed pots needed noting more than spindle gouge and forstner bit. I did use my forstner bit extension to give me a deeper hole.

The wet Bradford Potpourri end grain pot roughed out waiting for it to dry before finishing making spiral top. Did use a forstner bit, used a spindle gouge and scrapper to round inside walls. This is not the final size yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1163_2.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	24925  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to wildwood For This Useful Post:
RJM (06-01-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-29-2011, 10:13 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice Wildwood.
In a previous post I thought you were referring to the “Ray Key” type boxes. Even with a fancy tool is not needed. I try to make a lot of specialty tools to save both cost and storage space.

Sometimes I have a problem visualizing something and even more putting my response/questions in text without offending someone.

Anyway, great work, especially on the holly bowl. I would not come close to being able to finesse the interior curves with just a bowl gouge.

Last edited by NCPaladin; 05-29-2011 at 10:18 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

The Gum box in the middle is first box ever made. Second box is Bradford Pear not sure when done that. Used nothing but spindle gouges back then. Followed procedures Richard Raffan describes in his book and video for making boxes. There are little nibs in bottom of boxes.

The Oak birdhouse has no nib in bottom. Round bottoms out because turn a small wood egg to put in there so looks likes a nest in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1164.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	24932  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM

View rizaydog's Photo Album My Photos
Great job Wildwood. That is difficult to do.

Come visit me at WoodChux and see my work, get free woodworking plans, and find the lowest priced bottle stopper kits around.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I have a very large selection of tools (probably 75), and I do use them all from time to time. However I can turn 90 percent of everything I do with 4. Bowl gouge, detail gouge, skew and parting tool. Almost all of the others are larger or smaller versions of the same. The rest are custom tools used for a specific purpose to make a task either faster or easier.
The only ones not mentioned are hollowing tools of which you really only need 2 however I have about 12 to 15 in different sizes and shapes. Again these are mostly to speed up a task or do a very specific task that is slow or a hassle with the 2 original ones.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-30-2011, 08:48 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Guess I watched the wrong videos, three Keys and only one Raffan.
I’m going to try one of those birdhouses soon, but not that small.
I have a 10” cedar that died and I plan on cutting it off about 4’ high and use the next portion to turn a house to fit back on the trunk. Maybe if I do a big one I can do a little one .

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 8 Old 05-30-2011, 08:55 AM

View longbeard's Photo Album My Photos
Thats some really nice work wildwood
post #8 of 8 Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments not my best or worst work. I cannot take a decent picture to save my life. I own good camera Cannon A630, and have read instructions more than couple of times.

Point of my posting is do not be afraid to try. Have some confidence in yourself and tools. Does not take lot of wood or fancy tools to have fun turning. That first end grain Gum box, paper glue joint, waste block, face plate, and spindle gouge.

Big birdhouses best made with stave construction, woman from MD had an excellent article in AAW newsletter on how to back in 1994-95, no longer have the article. This article almost as good, may find something better if you search Google! http://www.genevaconcepts.com/Geneva_Concepts/Articles_files/Stave%20Construction.pdf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode