Newbie hollowing tool question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

View Ben M's Photo Album My Photos
Newbie hollowing tool question

Hi all,

New woodturner here---"self taught", meaning I've learned mostly from YouTube and forum-goers like yourselves, and probably doing many things wrong.

Question: I picked up an inexpensive Grizzly hollowing tool (T23333, http://www.grizzly.com/products/Lath...-Chisel/T23333 ) and I'm completely baffled as to how to use it. As soon as I make contact with the wood, it starts chattering. The least-chattery thing I can do is to bring the cutter against the wood at an extreme scraping angle---and that takes all of my wrist-strength to prevent the tool from rotating. And it still chatters.

Any advice? I'd love to find a video, or better yet a diagram, showing the right relationship between the cutting tip, bevel, and wood. Of course, if my cheapskate-tool-purchase is to blame, better to know sooner rather than later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I have no experience with that tool but it appears to be a scraper so presenting it 90 degrees to the wood should be correct. One thing that's really important with swan neck type tools is to keep the tool rest back far enough that it is supporting the straight part of the shaft, not the bent portion. That should reduce is tendency to torque in your hand. The shaft should be horizontal and at center height. You can err on the side of having the handle very slightly raised but don't lower the handle.
Some more details or pics of exactly what you are working on and where you are having trouble might help you get some better advice from some some smarter folks.
Hope that helps.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2012, 07:59 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
What part of the inside of a hollow vessel are you trying to use it on?

These are designed to help "undercut" the rim of the vessel -- don't expect to work on the bottom or deep down the sides

As Bonanza said, the handle must never drop below the top of the tool rest.

Use by pulling the tool with it in light contact with the side of the vessel, if it's chattering you might be pushing it into the wood too hard.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I have a similar type in the Sorby. Here is a link to the Sorby site... go to the Hollowmaster tool.
http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm

You have to keep the straight section on the tool rest. The tip can be rotated to any position. The Sorby comes with several tips but you may rotate the cutter on yours to get a wider cutting area. The smaller the cutting area the grabbier it is and harder to control.
I did not see seperate tips listed on your link but they may have them.
Diameter of the bar stock and overhang will affect amount of chatter also. On my Sorby swan neck I can only go about 6" or less and have control. They just aren't made for deep hollowing but do work very well on shorter items and have a very good reach to the side.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode