Newbie - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

View snallard's Photo Album My Photos

First time on this forum. I joined as I'm new to turning and I'm having a problem trying to turn bowls. I know I have a cheep entry level lathe, but when I work on the outside of the bowl everything seems fine, but when I start to work on the inside I end up with walls that are inconsistent in thickness. How is that possible when something is spinning, and is there anything that can be done to correct this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I'm using maple and getting frustrated at the expense.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-04-2008, 05:29 AM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Steve leave the wall alone or your head is going to hurt Okay cheap lathe or not, nothing wrong with a cheap lathe lots can be done on it, its how you use it. Have big expencive lathes are fine if you have the money to throw at it, it does not make you any better by just having a good quality lathe.
That said how are you mounting the bowl, if its in a scroll chuck of some sort, maybe you had a catch when trying to turn the inside this then may have ofset the bowl giving you diff thickness around the bowl, or maybe you had taken the bowl off for some reason then remounted, the problem doing that is that you might have remounted in a different place to where it was again off setting it. when you tighten a chuck up on wood it bits in and leaves indents the best bet is to mark your turning where you chuck it, genrally the jaws have Numbers against them, mark the postion on the wood then re chuck anytime in the same place it will help. I would say if you are really new to turning that you court the wood with the gouge and that it has moved in the chuck. Welcome to the empty forum everyone has gone on holliday hope that helps LB
post #3 of 7 Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Woodaholic

View Woodmuse's Photo Album My Photos
snallard,
Another thing to check out, since it sounds like you may have a new lathe, is to use two centers, one in the head stock and one in the tail stock, and move the tail stock up and make sure the two centers align exactly with each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Just call me Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmuse View Post
snallard,
Another thing to check out, since it sounds like you may have a new lathe, is to use two centers, one in the head stock and one in the tail stock, and move the tail stock up and make sure the two centers align exactly with each other.
Why would he want to bring the centres together to check, when he is having problems with a bowl. and not a spindle.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-04-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I'm just using a plate to spin the stock for the bowl and wood screws to hold it on. I've looked at some expensive bowl holding chucks and they cost more than my lathe.

Do you know of an efficient, reasonably priced alternative? And again thanks for the input. I did some lathe work as a kid at a boys club where I grew up. I even worked my way up to the level of instructor of other boys my own age. That was 40 years ago and I'm just now getting back to something I've wanted to do since.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Just call me Sir

There are lots of ways to hold your work, do a google and you will find some stuff about, there are cheap chucks out there not just the scroll types. face plates can be made, you can buy cheap pin chucks, longworth chuck you could make, and many other's the longworth is good for revers bowls boxes and such, theres one to make on the download section on my site. ill drop a few other places later just about to sit down for some dinner...LB
http://www.shapewood.co.uk
post #7 of 7 Old 05-05-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

WOW, that's quite a site. I'm admiring the beautiful work. The plans to the chuck, if I even understand what I'm looking at was to hold the bowl to finish the bottom. I think I'm discovering my problem is holding the stock firmly when working on the inside of the bowl

I'm not sure if I even can comprehend all that I'm being exposed to, this is my fist venture into any open faced turning.

steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode