new turnings - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 04-26-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
new turnings

I haven't been able to turn much lately. Tuesday I got some green holly so wed. I went in and turned some of it into Christmas ornaments balls to see how it works. Then turned an offset natural edge bowl. Boy does that stuff warp. I'm also having trouble with the tanins in the wood reacting with the tool and leaving green streaks around the bowl. Anyone know how to deal with that. I'm going to try to wipe it out with lemon juice on the next one. It's either that or coat the bevel of the tool with thin CA to see if I can keep the metal contact to a minimum.
I turned a bunch of wine stoppers and then a small cherry bowl. Then today I turned 4 balls. I tossed the first one and hollowed the last one. Both of the Holly balls will probably check. The hollow one already has 2 fairly long long ones even though it's about a fat 1/8" thick. The middle one is Texas Ebony that I've been drying for about 4 years. It's really prone to tear out and was quite challenging to turn into a ball because you could not cut uphill on the grain at all. That required a pull cut here, a push cut there and then finally as I approached the final shape, scraping with the skew. Still had some minor tearout but was able to sand it out with a little 180 grit. I look forward to the final finish on all of these. I have some carved texture in the cherry and I'm thinking about adding some color to the carving.
Right now I'm going to stop and drink more water so I can go on a bike ride. I'm going to put in 30 today. Gotta get rid of this winter tummy. Then I'll turn a pad footed table leg tonight. It's kind of a totally turned cabriole leg in a loose interpretation of that style. That's going to be the demo on Wednesday and I haven't turned one of those in a while either. I'm planning to build a nightstand for my bedroom and wanted to do it with those legs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April-turnings.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	8711  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-26-2009, 05:12 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
John,
Quite an assortment of fine looking turnings. Nice colors and textures also. I haven't had any holly to turn yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for some.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 12 Old 04-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
new turnings

John I got some of that a few yrs ago.I am in fl from nov till april then here in NC for the summer,anyway I got this year before last and turned two bowls(almost)the 1st one came out ok,but I just roughed out the outside on the 2nd blank,went upstairs for bout 30 min.Came back down and it had split all the way across,just settin there So I cut about 20 blanks about 8" in left the wall bout 3/4 thick.Sealed the endgrain and packed em in chips an paper bags for the winter.Sooooooooo I come back up last yr expectin to make some nice bowls.Yea right.They warped so bad that I think I save about 4 of em.So later that yr I got to talkin to a fellow that turns a lot of it,an he told me that when he takes down a tree,he cuts it in about 4ft lengths and seals the ends for at least a yr before trying to turn anything,but still leaves the blanks thick as I did for about 6 mo's or more before finishing them.Sorry for the long story,but just trying to let you know what your up against.That they say is why its so expensive to buy.Just got back up here about a week ago and am gonna give it another shot in few weeks.So not much more to say but good luck.I'll try and post a pic of some of them that made it thru
Ken

Last edited by The woodsman; 04-26-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 AM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
John Lucas
Very nice turnings John, very pleasing to the eye. Mitch
post #5 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 07:20 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Wow!!! I'm not even worthy to post in this area. Great work!
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #6 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM

View Robocop's Photo Album My Photos
Lovely work, never tried turning holly,
Gus
post #7 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Fighting the fight.....

View PTownSubbie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
I haven't been able to turn much lately. Tuesday I got some green holly so wed. I went in and turned some of it into Christmas ornaments balls to see how it works. Then turned an offset natural edge bowl. I turned a bunch of wine stoppers and then a small cherry bowl. Then today I turned 4 balls. I tossed the first one and hollowed the last one.
Haven't turned much lately?

It would take me a month to turn that kind of stuff!!

I am such a newbie.....

Great looking stuff John!! You want to come down and teach me how to turn like that?

Fred

Fred

www.luv2turn.com

Foot: A special device for finding furniture in the dark.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 06:28 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
How much coffee did you have that morning? It all looks great John. I tried making a ball once and gave up on it. I might have to try again.

Tim
post #9 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Tim Go for it. It's not hard if you sneak up on it. Turn a sort of ball between centers. Draw a line around the center. Remove the wood and put the line between 2 cup centers that you make from scrap wood. One for the headstock and on on the live center. Now you will see a shadow of a round ball. Carefully turn away the shadow and draw another line around the center. Now rotate the ball so neither of the lines is on center. You will probably have another shadow unless your ball happens to be perfect. Turn this shadow and then rotate the ball to a new center and repeat. After about 4 to 6 rotations you should have a perfectly round ball.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
That is a nice looking group of turnings. A little something for everyone. As said before shapes, woods, colors and forms all very pleasing to the eye. Great job, John.

What kind of bike do you ride? Do you ride in any of the century rides or anything? I used to ride way more than I do now. Now It seems I can't find time to jump on my bike and ride to the post office!

John
post #11 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

John I just ride recreationally. I put in a lot of 20 milers and later in the season do 30 to 50's. This is my 6oth year so I'm planning at least a 5 day ride somewhere to celebrate (and push myself). Since I live in middle Tennessee I'm thinking about riding over the smokies to NC and then down to chattanooga and back. That might be a long way for the limited time I will have to do it so I may have to shorten it.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
John, very cool, great job. looks like you got turning spheres down. mine always turns out looking like eggs..LOL

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode