New member and new site - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
New member and new site

Hi guys just found this forum and joined thought i would say hi, and invite you to see a little of my work on my website i am just putting together, not been turning to long so still learning and looking the more i find the more i learn. have been a carpenter for many years.
hope to post new stuff i turn on here as i go, and look forward to seeing your work and hopefully learn more, cheers geoff

http://www.shapewood.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Geoff, your turnings are very impressive. I liked them all but especially the scent box and mushroom.

They all reflect alot of thought in design and discretion in choosing your wood. You seem quite talented for not having been at it long.

Only critique I have on your website is maybe dig through your photo album and find one of you with a smile on your face.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-25-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Just call me Sir

och

Oh no my pic is no good, funny i took the pic myself trying out a new camera, and as i was saying i am putting the site together, but looking at it again in a different light, will have to re-turn it, or even change it.
Thanks geoff, will reshape the mug, with a smile soon.

The Red Box Elder looks great, don't get anything like that here, im starting to grab as much downed tree here as i can the price is getting daft and exotic stuff you need to rob a bank or something, makes me sick of the amount of stuff that has been burnt like mahogony windows ripped out and replace with plastics, bars from old pubs if we new then what is now. Im in the UK So if you want to send some free samples of that wood, and make it big bits as well hee hee..cheers.

Last edited by littlebuddha; 08-25-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 PM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
little buddha

Welcome aboard Geoff.I visited your site and liked all that I saw. Seems your into turning boxes quite a bit? All very nicely executed. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

I too haven't been into turning very long, but am retired and do it because I enjoy it so mych. If your interested you can see some of my work under Mitch Gallery, there are six pages in there . Good luck and again welcome to the forum. Mitch
post #5 of 8 Old 08-26-2007, 11:39 AM

View Crazybear's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Geof

Nice work. That purpleheart gives a realy smooth finish.

I would agree that wood here in the UK is VERY expensive particularly the exotics.

One thing I found was that a sawmill near where I live buys timber in to dry it. They cut off sections to test the wood etc. This sawmill sells me pieces of Hardwood for 1. Some of them are quite large pieces of Mahogany/ sappelle wood etc.. I also talked nicely to one of the guys in the yard who gave me some 3"x3"x40" lumps of purpleheart for free.

So its always worth sticking your head(and wallet) into your nearest sawmill to see whats on their scrap pile
post #6 of 8 Old 08-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Hey Geoff, I would love to send you some wood except i don't know how to stay in business by sending it it gratis across the pond.

I used to be very generous with free wood but it seems the more I was with some people, the harder I got kicked in the teeth eventually for silly reasons.

Still, I would be happy to send you some samples if you simply cover the cost of postage.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-28-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Just call me Sir

CrazyBear, your lucky to have a good sawmill near to you and to get it so cheap, and that bit of purpleheart would take a second morgage to get, everyone seems to go mad these days ebay and selling any old rubbish and daft prices then the p&p. I live in the midlands Coventry and nothing around apart from diy places like B&Q so no real wood and the Trade places are mainly softwoods, so about 70 miles to get exotic woods, so any chance of finding storm damage trees or friends i grab with both hands. TexasTimbers, hey no sentement with biz i know all to well, you keep the biz going mate bread and butter, do like the wood though, Whats it machine like, turning, how hard. Thanks for the comments guys hope to get some pics up soon, started to do walking get some weight of naff back so hard going, have to get a pram get the wife to push me around. cheers all. geoff

http//:www.shapewood.co.uk
there are a few pdf docs on making odd things if of use to anyone, longthorn chuck ,mdf chucks and few tools how to make.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Forgotten but not gone

Hey Geoff I am being sincere I would be happy to send you some samples. Just let me know. As to the machining ask Burlkraft he hase turned some of this stuff. I also sent some to a member out west gratis who was going to show pics of his charity boxes but never heard nothing.
I have played around with it some in the form of lumber and you really have to avoid the pith on this wood. It is guarnteed to move along the pith dramatically. It also swells and buckles quite a bit.
I am air drying a stack now that is weighted down however and I am not seeing any of these defects yet. I saw the pith out now though also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode