New lathe!!!!!whoop whoop! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
New lathe!!!!!whoop whoop!

so my nova came in the mail today finally got it all set up and HOLY COW that thing is freakin awwwwesome. you wanna talk about speeding up turning time that thing is a BEAST!!!!. Only issue ive got with it now is I need some new hardware for the head stock (comes with a 3 inch face plate) which, as I learned, sends larger pieces flying into a wall at three hundred miles and hour (no worries I turned it on with a long stick, with a helmet on, squatting behind a turned over table) ) SO Alls I need to know is this. What does my arsenal need to include if I want the capability to turn very large stuff. Tell me everything I need to get in order to not have to worry wood flying unless its off the end of my scraper. Such a tease that 3 inch faceplate. Thats like getting a porche with a quarter tank of gas and no station for miles. So what are your recommendations fellow turners. I want to do the big stuff happy turnin,
Bond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
congrats on the new lathe
pics?
post #3 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry I can't make a recommendation, I'm too jealous here to think straight.
Maybe one of those oneway chucks? My barracuda chuck came with jumbo jaws, maybe they make something like that.
Congrats. I've got an older Nova and love it - a new one with all the bells and whistles would be like winning the lottery.

Insert witty signature line here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
12 inch face plate first rhen you going to need some nice chucks and sharp tools
here is picture of mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	36755  

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you

Last edited by bigcouger; 01-26-2012 at 09:41 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

you know where I can find a 12" faceplate that will fit the nova 1624? Id love to have one just dont know where to find it? Big Cougar that powermatic looks awesome bet you dont have to bolt that to anything thanks for advice, happy turnin,
Bond
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 10:18 PM

View wmc1965's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats!!!!!!! Just got my first lathe not too long ago, grizzly G0657, still have a bit of learning to do before I tackle bigger stuff!!!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Congratulations Bond.

Don’t get too excited over the 3” faceplate. When I got my Nova I purchased a 6” and have never used it. The 3” will hold anything you put on it unless you rotate the headstock for something huge. Remember almost the largest chuck jaws (4”) are rated to hold up to 27” diameter and that is just gripping wood. With the faceplate you have 4 screws going deep in the wood. I did drill two additional holes in mine. Many people turn with a screw chuck only Ύ” deep in the wood. The main thing is to use good quality screws, I use hex head sheet metal screws.
Enjoy the lathe.
Mike

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I would also look on Amazon (or elsewhere) for a forstner bit. I bought mine about six months ago and 3-1/8 was about $26 with free shipping. This insures a nice flat area for the transfer of power.

On the screws, get at least #12; get #14 if they will fit. Just don't get the whipy little #8's. When I bought mine I got four different lengths so that I would have them. The shortest extends about 1/2" for platters and the such and the longest about 1-1/2" for really large wet bowls. 90% of the time I use ones that extend about an inch.

Oh, the Powermatic ($4,000) comes with a three inch faceplate.
Or you can move up to the Vega Bowl lathe, up to 45" swing an you get a 4" faceplate.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by NCPaladin; 01-27-2012 at 09:03 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Mike, very informative indeed. I was using #8 that were probably an inch long at best, they were wood screws but the head was curved and not flat which works fine when you are sinking into wood wood but not so much when touching metal Id imagine having as much surface area as possible is a goood thing. Took your advice, forgot what kind of length you had mentioned so just went with the #14 2 inchers. I just cant forget they are there! I think the speed was a little hasty too decided to see how high I could take it which probably wasnt the best idea but I learned something:)Thank you for the advice everyone, Ill lick this thing yet, happy turnin,
Bond
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 04:48 PM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
Congratulations on the new lathe.
I stepped up from a Jet 1220VS to a Nova DVR this summer and WOW what a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode