new lathe for semi-new turner - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

View df0rster's Photo Album My Photos
new lathe for semi-new turner

I've been reading quite a bit. Seems like folks are pretty happy with Jet Lathes. I had been looking at the 1442VSK, sells for about $1400 most places, found lots of good reviews, but it's a little more than I'm comfortable spending. I've mainly been turning 6-10" bowls on my $200 harbor freight model, it's been pretty good but isn't really heavy or powerful enough for bowl work, it's fine for pens and small work though.

Other contenders would be the Shop Fox W1758 which is probably an inferior tool at round $800. It is about as heavy and has an advertised 2hp motor. Or the Delta Industrial 46-460, which is a smaller size but still 12.5 inches and probalby big enough for my work. It is about half the weight of the other two.

I've seen other brands mentioned here but seems like many are European models that we probably can't buy here in the states.

Are there some I'm overlooking possibly?

thanks for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 04:36 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I own a big Powermatic 3520 and also own the Delta 46-460. It is one sweet lathe for money and does all that I ask of it. It certainly won't handle what my Powermatic does but when I'm using it I don't miss anything.
You might also look at the Nova 16/24. It's still a lot of money but you will never regret spending it. It is a very good lathe for the money.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...ood-lathe.aspx
post #3 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Shop Fox is Grizzly brand for models sold via dealers.

I think the Shop Fox W1758 is the same as the Grizzly G0462 which is $600.

I saw the Delta 46-460 being used in a craft show back in March. This looked like a really nice machine. Very quiet operation.

Bench mounted, so you would have to make your own stand. I would not let this put you off.

If you are only looking to make 6-10in bowls, the Delta seems to be a better fit for your needs.

The Jet looks like a nice machine, but a lot more capabilities than you say you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

View df0rster's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
I own a big Powermatic 3520 and also own the Delta 46-460. It is one sweet lathe for money and does all that I ask of it. It certainly won't handle what my Powermatic does but when I'm using it I don't miss anything.
You might also look at the Nova 16/24. It's still a lot of money but you will never regret spending it. It is a very good lathe for the money.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...ood-lathe.aspx
Thanks for the input! So between the Jet 1442 & this nova, you prefer the Nova? Seems to have slightly better reviews, other than the light weight stand, which I'm used to already on the HF model so I just add about 100lbs of weight to the bottom and that works for me. I like Jet tools & have a few others, but some reviewers comment that the motor gets hot and I did't see that comment on any of the Nova reivews. My current 3/4 hp lathe motor gets very hot after roughing out 1 green 10" or so bowl and I don't like that.

Another question, there is also a 5 speed version of that Delta, 46-455 I think. Would you think it is worth the $200 more for the variable speed? At $500 for the 5 speed version I could afford to buy that right away. I am a little weary of the 3/4hp rating on the Delta but I imagine it is superior to the 3/4 hp on my HF model that gets very hot and is way underpowered despite its rating.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by df0rster

Thanks for the input! So between the Jet 1442 & this nova, you prefer the Nova? Seems to have slightly better reviews, other than the light weight stand, which I'm used to already on the HF model so I just add about 100lbs of weight to the bottom and that works for me. I like Jet tools & have a few others, but some reviewers comment that the motor gets hot and I did't see that comment on any of the Nova reivews. My current 3/4 hp lathe motor gets very hot after roughing out 1 green 10" or so bowl and I don't like that.

Another question, there is also a 5 speed version of that Delta, 46-455 I think. Would you think it is worth the $200 more for the variable speed? At $500 for the 5 speed version I could afford to buy that right away. I am a little weary of the 3/4hp rating on the Delta but I imagine it is superior to the 3/4 hp on my HF model that gets very hot and is way underpowered despite its rating.
If variable speed is an option would definitely take it, it is worth the extra. I have 10 lathes including an old treadle lathe. The treadle is variable speed

I have a jet mini lathe. I don't like it. It is old and tired. Good for pens but not variable speed. I have to stop and change the belts. It is a pain in the rectum.

One lathe is variable speed and I want to upgrade that to something a lot better - that is time and mular

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
post #6 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
dmh

View dmh's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by df0rster View Post
I wouldn't give up my variable speed for anything!

Mark
only 84 more to go...
post #7 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Just remember you can do everything on a big lathe that you can do on a small one, but not vice versa.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #8 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by df0rster

The $200 gets you up to 1 hp too, I believe.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 AM

View Bill Wyko's Photo Album My Photos
I happen to have 2, JET 1442's. One is new and the other gently used. I'll sell either one if you're have a way to come get it.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 AM

View area123's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
I happen to have 2, JET 1442's. One is new and the other gently used. I'll sell either one if you're have a way to come get it.
Cool! Where do you live? If you want you can pm me the info including price and pics. I haven't seen a descent used lathe for sale around here.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Nova 1624 and it has done everything I have ask of it. It is also available here for $900. I paid $1200 for mine three years ago.
http://novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm

Quite a few have purchased the recon lathes and I have never heard of "poor condition", most state they are like new.

I'm sure turn knob speed is great but I have never changed the speed for spindle work and usually only once (very occassionally twice) for bowl work.
I thought of adding ballast a first but after properly leveling the lathe it has never been a problem.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #12 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 AM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I also have the 5 speed HF lathe. So far is has done everything I have asked it to do but I am finding as my skill level increases, the HF lathe isnt near as accurate as I need it to be. It has the slightest little bit of runout that isnt really noticeable in small items like pens and stoppers but with bigger items, it really shows itself. Not to mention, the more I turn, the more I see the convienence of variable speed. Stopping to move the belt is a pain.

Ive been doing alot of research on lathes trying to figure out what to replace mine with and I'm leaning heavily toward the Delta 46-460. There have been numerous threads of switch problems posted but apparently they started using a different switch this year and that problem should be solved.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #13 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
The Jet 16/42 has been rated by many turners as one of the best lathes for the money. I demo on one regularly and except for the mass and extra swing it does everything my Powermatic does.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 02:37 PM

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
I own the nova 1624 and when I went through this process a while back I learned that the major differences between a jet and a nova are the speeds. The nova can go down in the 400 rpm range where the comparable jet cannot. If your looking at turning bowls this is a HUGE difference. you can throw on an oblong off center hunk of wood and it handles it like a beast. I bought mine refurbed and have had 0 problems with it. The only downside is changing the belt to adjust to speed but once youve done it a few times you can change it in about 10- 15 seconds. I actually like changing the belt because it often provides a needed pause to consider and look at the work, grain, and features of the piece. Ive heard great stuff about the jet but for a bowl turner Id go with a nova all day. I bolted mine to the floor and even with a 50 pound hunk of wood it turns without a wobble. Hope that helps, happy turnin,
Bond
post #15 of 15 Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 PM

View Bill Wyko's Photo Album My Photos
PM sent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode