new lathe search just got harder - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
new lathe search just got harder

In the world of always wanting to upgrade tools I have be searching for a new lathe for a long time. I just have a Midi lathe and would like to turn larger bowls and have some more torque. I always look for used, but there are few lathes that is see that meet my 16"+ swing criteria

I have been eying the 18" swing grizzly lathe for long time but this year the jacked up the price $300 so now it is $1800. That closes the gap on some of the other models, like the Nova.

But I see that Nova has a 20" model out now.... that really interests me, and even though it is over $1000 more then the grizzly lathe, it is $1000 cheaper then the PM 20".

Oh the options!

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 10:55 AM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
I stepped up from a Jet 1220VS to a Nova DVR XP this past summer and love it. The power and smoothness is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	39991  

post #3 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Given the choice of Nova over Grizzly I would do that everytime. I've not owned a Grizzly lathe but have owned other Grizzlytools. In my opinion they are mediocre at best. The Nova on the other hand excellent. I've owned 2 of their lathes and turned on the DVR. I still prefer my Powermatic but they have also gone up in price over the years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM

View bugman1954's Photo Album My Photos
Quit bashing Grizzly

I love my Grizzly. I would put it up against the powermatic any day. People that don't seem to like Grizzly have never owned one. My castings look great. I've heard people say the don't like the banjo. I got a 5/16ths tap out rod that cost me $6 to fix from Lowes. It doesnt come with drawers but that was easy along with the headstock tray. If I ever want to go big I can on the outboard and I didn't have to purchase an extra stand for $400. A friend who owns the biggest jet came over and commended the lathe and he paid more than I did for his.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	40001  

post #5 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure new Nova DVR 2024 has hit the streets yet. Wireless remote sounds nice. Older DVR lathes may be able to use it to see web site for details or second link.

http://teknatool.com/products/lathes/2024/NOVA_2024.htm
http://teknatool.com/products/lathe_accessories/Remote/NOVA_Remote.htm

Think Nova lathe great if do not have room for full size lathe. Not a big fan of rotating headstocks, prices for optional equipment. Stand shown does not impress me.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 09:04 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
I looked at that nova lathe and I didn't like it. Everything I found was in metric, it's very short and I just don't like the looks of it. But that's just my opinion. You should get what ever you like because you'll be spending a lot of time working at it
post #7 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe16 View Post
I looked at that nova lathe and I didn't like it. Everything I found was in metric, it's very short and I just don't like the looks of it. But that's just my opinion. You should get what ever you like because you'll be spending a lot of time working at it
I don't understand what you mean by all metric, it has a standard 1 1/4x8 spindle and #2 morse taper. As for being to short bed extensions are available to make it as long as you like. The big plus is a smooth VS transition from 100 up and a vibration free beltless drive system.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 PM

Maybe I looked at a site not from the U.S. if I were to spend all that money on a lathe I wouldn't want to spend even more on bed extensions. I'm sure it's good lathe but it's not for me
post #9 of 22 Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Jet 1642. Bought one 2 years ago and it's all the lathe i'll need for a long time.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #10 of 22 Old 03-04-2012, 07:47 AM

Nova DVR 2024 and optional equipment,(outboard tool rest, bed ext, bowl rest) would cost me $3,870.45 delivered to my house. Without any optional equipment $3,343.52,both prices quoted include shipping & sales tax.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2084108/36336/Nova-DVR-2024-Lathe.aspx

Once go over $2,500 for a wood lathe I want mass and weight because turn lot of out of balanced wood. Right now my little shop doing well with mass & weight of Jet 1642 which cost less than $2,000 when bought it. Only optional equipment bought is 6” Robust tool.

Can still buy a PM 3520B for $3,999.99 with free shipping. If looking for less expensive alternative would look at Rikon lathes models 70-500 and 70-450 and save couple hundred bucks
post #11 of 22 Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I don't understand what is "metric" about a lathe... Unless their are markings on the tail stock that show how far you are moving it for drilling or something. But my festool stuff is metric and I work in metric at work, so that isn't a big deal to me.

I would like to see a slightly longer bed come with it. In general I think that when you are getting into a larger swing lathe, manufactures assume that you are doing more bowl turning. It isn't very often that you need to something that is 14"x 30", but I would like to see a longer bed. You can always add the extensions so that isn't a deal breaker.

As for being too light... it is easier to add weight then take it away. I would probably have the lathe on a mobile base anyway because of my small shop space.

With a swing of 20", a see very limited use for the outboard rig. I imagine that 20" will cover 99.99% of my turning needs. I would certain want it for a 16" swing though.

post #12 of 22 Old 03-04-2012, 12:31 PM

If space an issue just buy the 16” swing Nova DVR for about $2,500. Or look at reconditioned Nova DVR and build your own stand.

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-NOVA-DVR-XP-Wood-Turning-Lathe-55175-R.htm

If have room Jet 1642 110V version 5 year warranty, right at $2,300 from amazon.com. Grizzly version G0632 only $1594.00 220V with 1 year warranty. Rikon 220V version about $1,700-$1,800, with 5 year warranty.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-04-2012, 03:00 PM

By metric I mean the specs on the website were in centimeters and kilos rather than inches and pounds
post #14 of 22 Old 03-04-2012, 03:11 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Short beds have a big advantage. When hollowing bowls or hollow forms you can often stand at the end of the lathe depending on the piece and the tools used. This saves your back. Of course on the Nova's you can also swing the headstock which also lets you stand more correct when you are hollowing. Short bed lathes also take up a lot less space in your shop.
Unless you plan to do long spindles you really don't need a long bed. too many people get hung up on the numbers. For example they claim one lathe is better than another because the lathe is 1" longer than another one. In reality few people turn long spindles. I do and that was important to me so I purchased 2 bed extensions for my Nova. That made it longer than most lathes on the market. I could have bought more if needed.
Only you know what you really need of course.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

What is the travel on the Nova quill?

I would need over 24" for some work, so an extension bed would be needed. I would like to get the lathe without the stand though, since I would plan on adding the extension, I would need to have something to support that, so might as well have a bench under the whole things. But unlike the 16" version, that doesn't appear to be an option.

post #16 of 22 Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 PM

The stand is an optional accessory for the Nova DVR and is not included.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/la...a%20_dvrxp.htm

Last edited by Whaler; 03-04-2012 at 07:57 PM.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
The stand is an optional accessory for the Nova DVR and is not included.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/la...a%20_dvrxp.htm

Right, but that is for the 16" swing... there isn't something for the 20" swing that implies that the stand is seperate.

post #18 of 22 Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvoigt View Post
Right, but that is for the 16" swing... there isn't something for the 20" swing that implies that the stand is seperate.
You are correct the 20" is only available with the stand.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM

View Nate Bos's Photo Album My Photos
just a question about the Nova lathes. The new ones advertise a chisel dig-in auto-shutoff (not that I have anything to worry about) Is this a nuisance or does it actually help.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Bos View Post
just a question about the Nova lathes. The new ones advertise a chisel dig-in auto-shutoff (not that I have anything to worry about) Is this a nuisance or does it actually help.
I haven't had a dig in yet but I have left the spindle lock on and turned the motor on and it shuts right off. I can only see it as a plus.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode