New Lathe Purchase - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

View jporter5333's Photo Album My Photos
Question New Lathe Purchase

I am new to wood turning. I took a woodturning class a few weeks ago and am hooked. This stuff is more addictive than heroine. After a couple of weeks of going back and forth between wild ideas of building a lathe one minute to having found the deal of the century on a lathe the next, I have come out of it and made a decision. I found a Delta midi w/ bed extension for $280.00. I bought before I had a chance to talk my self out of it. I couldn't decide between a large lathe or mini lathe because I want to turn everything from lightpoles to toothpicks. So before I could change my mind I bought the midi with the idea that I should start small and work my way up. I can still make small bowls (up to 10") and when I am comfortable with that then I can think about buying (or building) a lathe big enough for larger stuff. I just wondered if any of you think I made the right decision , especially on the lathe choice. I have turned on one of these lathes, in the woodturning class I mentioned and it seemed like a good lathe. From the pictures this guy could've sold this thing as new. The paint isn't even wore off the tool rest. Just wondered what you guys thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-12-2008, 09:44 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I think mini lathes are the best way to start. Most projects I see are under 12" and many under that. Even at the national symposium most of the work could be turned on a mini. The best thing is they have really good resale compared to full size lathes. Many people who step up to a full size lathe keep the mini's for turning small stuff. You can turn small stuff on a full size lathe but moving the tool rest and tailstock gets tiring. Good choice, have fun and show us some of your work.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-12-2008, 04:51 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
JP,
That's exactly what I did. I bought a jet midi and learned on that and turned a lot of really nice projects on it, including a 24" peppermill (with the bed extension). I bought a jet 1642 and use that pretty much all the time now. But like John said, I kept the midi. The other nice thing about the midi is they don't have an abundance of power to get you in trouble when you make a mistake. Not to say it's impossible to get hurt with it, but if you get a catch, it's a little less violent. Good luck,
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode