New Lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 05-24-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
New Lathe

Well I ordered my new lathe and it arrived last Friday. I got the Jet 1642EVS 2hp model. Wasn't planning on ordering yet but with the deal they were running from Jet I just couldn't hold back. I don't have it set up yet as I now have to run 220v out to my garage/shop. I got all the stuff yesterday to run a subpanel to the shop so now it's just a matter of getting the energy and time to do it. First impressions are very favorable and I will provide pictures of the setup if anyone is interested. Can't wait to get to turning on this thing!

Here is a picture of my youngest son with what he undoubtedly thought was by far and away the best part of the lathe. He couldn't hardly contain himself when he saw the size of the box in the back of the truck. He wanted to know if we were keeping the lathe after I got it unpacked because I told him he could have the box as soon as I made sure I wasn't going to have to send it back. After I cut the door in it, he drug in pillows and blankets and told me that was where he was sleeping tonight. He came out after a little while and told me what a great day it was. How cool is that?!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sambox2 (Small).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	9138  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Senior Member Grandpa

View drcollins804's Photo Album My Photos
Isn't it amazing how much we spend on toys and they (just like we were) are happy with the boxes. Helps them to use their imagination too. Another bonus.
David
post #3 of 11 Old 05-25-2009, 12:21 AM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
I think you are obligated as a member to post pics of the setup. Oh yea, nice box.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Fighting the fight.....

View PTownSubbie's Photo Album My Photos
What kind of lathe is it replacing?

I think you will love it.... I underestimated the convenience of the VS option. I guess that just gives me a reason to want to upgrade when I get a larger shop ....

I remember my kids playing in boxes... It is amazing how they will play with non-toys more than some of the toys you spend a lot of money on..... Now that mine are bigger they just want expensive electronics.

Fred

www.luv2turn.com

Foot: A special device for finding furniture in the dark.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-25-2009, 10:39 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
John,
Good luck with the new lathe. I have the 1642 with the 1 1/2hp motor that I have running on 110v with no problems and plenty of power. When I opened my box, mine didn't come with a free kid. I like mine to the point I haven't used my smaller jet since I got the bigger one. I think you'll like the variable speed feature.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 11 Old 05-25-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys. Fred this is replacing an older Grizzly lathe I purchased used that I have had a few problems with. Not necessarily Grizzly's but from previous owner. I also have a Delta midi lathe that I plan on keeping to use for pens and bottle stoppers but Mike may be right, I may not end up using it much anymore. I have thought about getting the buffer pads and setting up on it and kind of just making a buffing station.

Mike I had intended on getting the 110 version but I ordered this from The Toolnut and got it cheaper than I could buy the 110 so I bit the bullet and ordered. Of course now that I will be putting in a subpanel and the expense of the cable...... But for long term it will be nice to have the subpanel and break things up a little more in the shop. At least that's what I told the dear wife.

I remember playing with boxes as a kid too. There was a grocery store that gave away boxes and we would bring them home by the truckload. Building forts and castles. So next year for Christmas I'm gonna buy the biggest tools I can get and give the boxes to my son so he can play with them. What a Dad huh?

I hope everyone has a nice Memorial Day! I'm gonna try to get started on the wiring once the grilling is over and the family leaves.

John
post #7 of 11 Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
New Lathe

WTG I don't have that one,but from what I'v heard they are a great lathe an there customer support is also very good
Ken
post #8 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 AM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
John
That is going to be a great lathe for you, and you will like it a lot. Great lathe and a great little guy in the box. Handsome little dude, John. BTW, that 220 will make a big difference for you. Mitch
post #9 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 02:25 AM

View Night Mill Bill's Photo Album My Photos
Hey, your son is showing some good judgement there: Boxes Rock! I've got quite a pile of them in my warehouse. Had some guy ship me a shutter once just wrapped in bubble-wrap. That didnt work out so well. I think the ups guys took turns sitting on it.

Good luck with the Lathe!
-Bill
post #10 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 10:04 AM
WoodTurner

View vcooney's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Jet 16/42 also and I have a grizzly mini lathe that I planned on using for pens and bottle stoppers. I haven't used it since I got the Jet a year ago. It may end up on Craigs list.

Vince
post #11 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys. Mitch I am looking forward to turning with it, but from folks I've talked to that have 110 Jet 1642 it seems it has more than enough power too. I just got such a good deal on the 220 version it was a no brainer.

Vince I wonder if I'll be the same. I have considered making a buffing station out of it or hauling it to the basement for the kids to turn some small stuff with..... or sell it and buy the talon chuck.

Just about finished wiring the garage subpanel. I ended up adding outlets and rewiring some stuff that had been done previously. I get so anal about wiring and making it neat and such. I feel better when it's done the way I want it though. Hopefully some setup pics by Sunday.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode