New here - Hello everyone! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Let's roll!
 
Bozwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 24
View Bozwell's Photo Album My Photos
New here - Hello everyone!

Hi,
Not new to woodworking but new to turning. How new?
Well, the new lathe gets delivered tomorrow LOL
Just wanted to say that this looks like a great site with knowledgeable members and hopefully I can pick up a lot of what I need to know by reading through the posts and asking questions.
I promise I'll try not to drive anybody crazy with my questions in regards to lathes and turning. I've built cabinets and various pieces of furniture type pieces for the last 25-30 yrs. (not as my primary employment but as needed) so I'm familiar with wood and its characteristics. However, turning intrigues me, especially after I came across some really nice pieces while surfing websites that related to a project I'm working on.
Which brought me here.......Thanks for providing such a great site. Hope to learn a bunch from you folks.
Boz
Bozwell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Yea i got wood
 
robert421960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rockholds Ky
Posts: 3,016
View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
welcome here
what lathe did you get?
here at wwt we love to see pics of your lathe and your projects
robert421960 is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Old School
 
cabinetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 24,027
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
cabinetman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
don716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Georgia (USA)
Posts: 623
View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats on the new lathe. Post some pics when you can. Truning is a great thing. I used to think that all a lathe was used for was to turn things round but boy, I was WRONG. Since I began turning I found out it's a whloe different world. I don't think there is a limit to what you can make. Jump in and ask any questions you want. We are here to answer them.
don716 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Let's roll!
 
Bozwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 24
View Bozwell's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks!
After some preliminary web searches and looking through reviews as well as paying attention to the old pocketbook.......... I picked up a Rikon 1216 70-050VS. This has 3 pulley positions for the belt and a variable speed dial to control the speed over each of the 3 positions. My plan is to do small bowls, X-mas ornaments, small segmented pieces etc.
Everything was on sale Black Friday and the lathe price was too good to pass up.
Rikon 1216 70-050VSLathe - $239.99 Black Friday price
(Reg. WoodCraft price was $439.99)
5 Piece Wood River Mini tool set -$40.00
Shipped to my door $19.95
So...for around $300 I'm in the game right?
Except for .........
Chucks $150-$250 ea.
Mandrels (or so I'm told) $???
Tools - $???
More Tools $???
Hopefully I'm on the right track. I'm just glad I found this place so I can get some real technical advice and direction. I'm sure I'm going to need it sooner or later.

What is weird is, I originally started looking for a lathe because I build custom fishing rods and wanted to build some with segmented cork handles with different colored cork pieces. The more I looked into this venture, the more I saw what else can be done with a lathe.
You folks do some amazing pieces of work and I am very impressed.
Thanks again for the warm welcome and I'm looking forward to being a member of the woodturning community. This should be fun!
Boz

Last edited by Bozwell; 11-25-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Bozwell is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Yea i got wood
 
robert421960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rockholds Ky
Posts: 3,016
View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
sounds to me like your off to a good start
buy a good chuck if you can then just play and see what else you might want later
robert421960 is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Let's roll!
 
Bozwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 24
View Bozwell's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert421960 View Post
sounds to me like your off to a good start
buy a good chuck if you can then just play and see what else you might want later
Here's where the questions begin..........
Looking at the N0VA G3 and the Supernova 2
The problem I have is this - I want to turn bowls and "boxes with lids" ( not sure why they're called boxes since they're round. Is it because they have lids?) as well as X-mas ornaments and possibly some pens.
So, if I understand the process, I need to turn a tenon on the end of a bowl or box to fasten into the chuck to do my turning.
1) Are these 2 chucks sufficient in size (diameter) with the chuck fully open to handle a decent size bowl?
2) Will they close up tight enough to turn a pen?
3) Can you get different jaws for these?
4)) Is there a distinct possibility that I'm not even asking the right questions?
I'm sure I need a chuck but not sure what to get and sure don't want to go the trial and error route because those things are salty.
I want a good one that is no-nonsense and dependable and will fit my needs.
I'm sure there are many chucks out there and just as many opinions as to what is best.
Would it be best to start a new topic on this?
Thanks,
Boz

Daddy used to say, "Fun is not cheap and cheap is not fun."
Bozwell is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Yea i got wood
 
robert421960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rockholds Ky
Posts: 3,016
View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
so many others are so much more fluent at typing so ill let others answer more questions but
i own a delts with a 12 1/2 " swing and recently bought the super nove chuck and its awesome
the jaws are dovetailed so they hold very securely
its a great chuck
also i have watched hundreds of videos to learn what little i know
robert421960 is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Yea i got wood
 
robert421960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rockholds Ky
Posts: 3,016
View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
oh and apparently they are called boxes because they have lids lol
so you are correct
robert421960 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,442
View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozwell View Post
Here's where the questions begin..........
Looking at the N0VA G3 and the Supernova 2
The problem I have is this - I want to turn bowls and "boxes with lids" ( not sure why they're called boxes since they're round. Is it because they have lids?) as well as X-mas ornaments and possibly some pens.
So, if I understand the process, I need to turn a tenon on the end of a bowl or box to fasten into the chuck to do my turning.
1) Are these 2 chucks sufficient in size (diameter) with the chuck fully open to handle a decent size bowl?
2) Will they close up tight enough to turn a pen?
3) Can you get different jaws for these?
4)) Is there a distinct possibility that I'm not even asking the right questions?
I'm sure I need a chuck but not sure what to get and sure don't want to go the trial and error route because those things are salty.
I want a good one that is no-nonsense and dependable and will fit my needs.
I'm sure there are many chucks out there and just as many opinions as to what is best.
Would it be best to start a new topic on this?
Thanks,
Boz
Welcome to WWT. Im relatively new to turning as well. I started about this time last year but with alot of research, alot of questions here at WWT and a lot of time spent in front of the lathe, Ive come along way in a year!! I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.

1. Yes, those are both good choices. Nova makes a great chuck. The G3 is probably a little more suited to the lathe that you have. The SN2 is very heavy. Both will handle anything you will be able to turn on a 12" lathe. I personally use a G3 on the same size lathe and love it. You can get a refurb G3 shipped to your door from the Nova service center for less than 100 bucks.

2. Nope but thats not a problem because a chuck isnt needed for pen turning. Thats where the mandrel/s come in!!

3. Yes, Nova makes a bunch of differnt size and style jaws and all Nova jaws fit all Nova chucks so you dont have to worry about buying jaws specifically for a G3 or a SN2. Just buy any Nova jaws and they will fit, allthough some of the larger jaws are not reccomended for the G3 they will still fit if you are so inclined.

4. Nope, your on the right track. Ask away and chances are someone here can help. There are no dumb questions!!

One thing I noticed you left off your list was a good face shield. This is a must!! You should also start thinkin about a sharpening system. I and many others highly reccomend the WC slow speed grinder paired with the wolverine jig for the ultimate lathe tool sharpening system!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!

Last edited by BassBlaster; 11-25-2012 at 09:19 PM.
BassBlaster is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Let's roll!
 
Bozwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 24
View Bozwell's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Bass Blaster!
It's starting to make sense now bit by bit.
Like the price point on the G3 Refurb. My guess is that they've been trued up etc. and checked for runout to be as good as new?
Don't understand the whole mandrel thing yet or their application in regards to pens but we'll leave that for another day.

BTW - Like the avatar. That is one nice bass. Since you hail from Grove City OH was that possibly caught in the AEP area?

There is no doubt in my mind that I found the right site to get this new adventure started off on the right foot!
Thanks,
Boz

Daddy used to say, "Fun is not cheap and cheap is not fun."
Bozwell is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,442
View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozwell View Post
Thanks Bass Blaster!
It's starting to make sense now bit by bit.
Like the price point on the G3 Refurb. My guess is that they've been trued up etc. and checked for runout to be as good as new?
Don't understand the whole mandrel thing yet or their application in regards to pens but we'll leave that for another day.

BTW - Like the avatar. That is one nice bass. Since you hail from Grove City OH was that possibly caught in the AEP area?

There is no doubt in my mind that I found the right site to get this new adventure started off on the right foot!
Thanks,
Boz
To be honest, I dont know what they do to them to call them refurb but when I got mine, I couldnt tell the difference between it and a new one. Should also mention that whatever chuck you get, you will need an insert that matches the spindle on your lathe. They do that in case you get a different/bigger lathe, you dont have to replace your chucks, just the inserts.

I didnt even notice you were an OH guy!! You are absolutely correct, that is an AEP bass. Found a little pond in the middle of the woods while deer huntng one year and went back in the spring with a rod. First cast I caught that dude. Not a monster but easily over 5. I caught fish in that little pond all day long!! None had any size but the first one but it sure was a blast!! Sadly, that particular land was leased to a hunting club in 2010 so I havnt been back to AEP since. I know theres a lot of land to be explored down there so I may get back over that way eventually!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
BassBlaster is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Turning noob
 
RusDemka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eagan MN
Posts: 1,817
View RusDemka's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the Forum and the wood turning vortex...

- Dema

Burn scrap wood not your soul..
Check out my YouTube channel @ www.youtube.com/mrdemcka
RusDemka is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
duncsuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,609
View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the vortex

It's important to get a face shield and safety glasses. Shards of wood can fly off a turning at high speed, even very experienced turners suffer bad accidents from time to time.

Also I think you'll need something to keep your lungs from filling up with wood dust -- sanding on the lathe can generate a lot of dust very quickly.

Enjoy!!!

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
duncsuss is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Let's roll!
 
Bozwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 24
View Bozwell's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
To be honest, I dont know what they do to them to call them refurb but when I got mine, I couldnt tell the difference between it and a new one. Should also mention that whatever chuck you get, you will need an insert that matches the spindle on your lathe. They do that in case you get a different/bigger lathe, you dont have to replace your chucks, just the inserts.

I didnt even notice you were an OH guy!! You are absolutely correct, that is an AEP bass. Found a little pond in the middle of the woods while deer huntng one year and went back in the spring with a rod. First cast I caught that dude. Not a monster but easily over 5. I caught fish in that little pond all day long!! None had any size but the first one but it sure was a blast!! Sadly, that particular land was leased to a hunting club in 2010 so I havnt been back to AEP since. I know theres a lot of land to be explored down there so I may get back over that way eventually!!
Thanks for the heads up on the chucks. Is there a web address or contact point for those folks? I need to get one or two of those.

I go to AEP every Spring and we float tube some of the lakes and just slaughter the big bluegill. Rough country but well worth the effort!

Daddy used to say, "Fun is not cheap and cheap is not fun."
Bozwell is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Paine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 7,222
View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozwell View Post
Here's where the questions begin..........
Looking at the N0VA G3 and the Supernova 2
The problem I have is this - I want to turn bowls and "boxes with lids" ( not sure why they're called boxes since they're round. Is it because they have lids?) as well as X-mas ornaments and possibly some pens.

I'm sure I need a chuck but not sure what to get and sure don't want to go the trial and error route because those things are salty.
I want a good one that is no-nonsense and dependable and will fit my needs.
I'm sure there are many chucks out there and just as many opinions as to what is best.
Would it be best to start a new topic on this?
There are many threads on the site about opinions of chucks. Worth a search to read the past discussions. For example search on "Chuck opinion" is a good start.

Since you are new, you will find this video very useful. This explains the different methods of holding (or chucking) wood on a lathe.

A scroll chuck can be used, also a faceplate. Pro's and con's of every method.

This is almost 1 1/2hr but highly recommended to spend the time to watch this all the way. It may impact your initial purchases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXil-5dEeo

As soon as you start to use your tools for turning, you will realise the next skill you need is to know how to sharpen. There are carbide insert tools which do not get sharpened, but most of us have some tools which need to be sharpened.

This is an excellent 6 part series on sharpening. Another highly recommended set of videos to watch before you start spending money on tools or sharpening equipment.

This is the first segment. You should be able to find the rest on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ljh...ure=plpp_video

Last edited by Dave Paine; 11-26-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Dave Paine is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,442
View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozwell View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the chucks. Is there a web address or contact point for those folks? I need to get one or two of those.

I go to AEP every Spring and we float tube some of the lakes and just slaughter the big bluegill. Rough country but well worth the effort!
Here ya go. http://novatoolsusa.com/

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
BassBlaster is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Let's roll!
 
Bozwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 24
View Bozwell's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
There are many threads on the site about opinions of chucks. Worth a search to read the past discussions. For example search on "Chuck opinion" is a good start.

Since you are new, you will find this video very useful. This explains the different methods of holding (or chucking) wood on a lathe.

A scroll chuck can be used, also a faceplate. Pro's and con's of every method.

This is almost 1 1/2hr but highly recommended to spend the time to watch this all the way. It may impact your initial purchases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXil-5dEeo

As soon as you start to use your tools for turning, you will realise the next skill you need is to know how to sharpen. There are carbide insert tools which do not get sharpened, but most of us have some tools which need to be sharpened.

This is an excellent 6 part series on sharpening. Another highly recommended set of videos to watch before you start spending money on tools or sharpening equipment.

This is the first segment. You should be able to find the rest on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ljh...ure=plpp_video
Thanks Dave - Those are awesome vids. I saved them to my favorites so that I can reference them!

Daddy used to say, "Fun is not cheap and cheap is not fun."
Bozwell is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Let's roll!
 
Bozwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 24
View Bozwell's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
Thanks Bass blaster!
Got the Nova G3 ordered as well as the 1" 8TPI RH insert ordered.
Boz

Daddy used to say, "Fun is not cheap and cheap is not fun."
Bozwell is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome