new to forum, Holly-wood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

View wastrel's Photo Album My Photos
new to forum, Holly-wood?

Hi folks, new to the forum & have to say, I like what I`m reading on here, I can`t abide online squabbles, bad manners or nasty comments just because you disagree with someone!
having just cut down a holly tree in my garden I`ve been looking on the web about how difficult to work it can be & why not to use the timber, but, I was wondering if it could be used (once dried) for plates? I reckon I`m gonna give it a go & will post the results on here.
I don`t have a lathe but I can get round that, with 30+ years working in the UK building trade I`m sure I can give this at least a good try.
I`m gonna post my opinions about a lovely little Quangsheng block plane I recently acquired & an Anant smoothing plane I rescued from a neighbours shed that needs if not a full restoration, a good fettling at least.
looking forward to contributing to the forum, now, where`s the joke`s thread, I`ve loads of them!
cheers guys (& dolls) Wastrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2016, 12:58 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome To the forum Wastrel...Look forward to seeing what you have going on...I understand what your saying about online squabbles but what is great here is everyone can give there opinion ..Glad your here ..
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2016, 06:26 PM

View Woodychips's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the fold, moohaha!

Haven't seen any squabbles here yet so I think we're good.

Start a conversation or post a picture of your work :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2016, 07:07 PM

View Bill Boehme's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, wastrel. Holly is a beautiful white wood and I think that it would make a very nice platter. Woodturners often rough turn green wood and then allow it to dry to allow for shrinking and warping before doing the final turning. Wood that is left in whole log form generally takes many years to dry and is likely to split as it dries out.

If you aren't familiar with the process of drying green wood for make lumber, the basic steps are:
  1. Cut the log into slabs on a bandsaw, your choice of flat sawn, quarter sawn, or rift sawn and making sure that the area around the pith is removed because it will split.
  2. Sticker the wood ... place it in stacks with spacer sticks between boards so that air is able to circulate around each board. Place heavy weights on top of the stack so that the wood won't warp as it dries and cover the stack to protect it from the weather.
  3. All about one year drying time for each inch (2.5 cm) of board thickness.
  4. Joint and plane the wood to final thickness after it has dried.
That is a greatly oversimplified description, but it gives a rough idea of the necessary steps.

If you do embellishments to your work such as carving, coloring, or pyrography then holly is a good wood to work with because of its smooth grain structure and uniformity of color.

This is a nice forum where folks are civil to one another. It's interesting that on some other forums people behave as though they were raised by wolves when they can hide their identity.

Bill Boehme
My Photo Gallery
post #5 of 9 Old 04-10-2016, 02:13 AM

View Fallbrook hoby's Photo Album My Photos
I just bought some holly for inlay work. I recall it being a bit pricey. I'm thinking you should use it wisely
post #6 of 9 Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 AM

View BigBadBuford's Photo Album My Photos
Holly is a great wood for turning. The only downside is that it is hard to dry it so that it does not get blue staining in it. You are supposed to cut the tree down in winter when the sap is down to minimize moisture and try to dry it as quick as possible. I got some a year or two ago and followed those directions - cut it in January, processed them into blanks that night on my bandsaw then dried them next to my woodstove - and I still got quite a bit of staining. The pieces are still usable but don't look quite as nice as they would if they were pure white. An interesting thing I noticed is that the pieces left in the round stayed white inside but unfortunately they checked very badly so I couldn't use them.

Here is a small bowl I turned from Holly.
Attached Images

post #7 of 9 Old 04-13-2016, 12:47 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
As I understand it, one of the things that makes holly pricey is that it's rare to find a large section of tree trunk that's not full of branches and thus, knots. So, clear holly of any size tends to be expensive. So, if you've got a tree that you can some useable timber out of, by all means, go for it!
post #8 of 9 Old 04-14-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

View wastrel's Photo Album My Photos
thanks for the input guys,
post #9 of 9 Old 04-19-2016, 12:11 AM

View rtindell's Photo Album My Photos
I have a lot of holly a buddy took down...it was wrong season and its bluing...i think it looks better than if was white. Gives character..like spalting. Great wood to turn tho. Never had any issues with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode