new bowl - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 24 Old 11-26-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
new bowl

I stopped at woodcraft yesterday to use my free $10.00 gift certificate they sent me in the mail. Ended up spending about 75.00. The owner of this particular store has been getting some oddball blanks of wood by the cratefull the last few months. It is parked right in front of the register. So I bought a chunk of coffee burl, and a chunk of ramon burl. I turned the coffee burl today, along with another peppermill. This is the first time I turned the coffee burl. Polishes up pretty nice. Very pretty grain. Here's a few pics.
Mike Hawkins
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Great work Mike!! When do you get the time to do all of this stuff?
Ken
post #3 of 24 Old 11-27-2008, 12:01 AM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
Mike
That is a beautiful bowl. super nice to my tired eyes.As is your usual job, it's well done. Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Kenbo,
I head out to the shop every chance I get. If I am not working, I'm usually out there for awhile.
Mike
post #5 of 24 Old 11-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
new bowl

As allways the peppermill is very nice.I sure wish that our woodcraft would get some burls like that,(that I could afford) beautifull piece
post #6 of 24 Old 11-27-2008, 09:38 PM

View woodchip's Photo Album My Photos
AH look at that peppermill burl. I say get all of that burl you can because it would make some good pen blanks if nothing else. i wish our woodcraft store had stuff like that..
post #7 of 24 Old 11-27-2008, 10:18 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Kenbo,
I head out to the shop every chance I get. If I am not working, I'm usually out there for awhile.
Mike
Sounds a lot like me. Every chance I get. Heck, I don't even have to be working on a project, I just like hanging out in the shop.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-27-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Woodsman and Woodchip,
I have seen the coffee burls along with a lot of different others on ebay. Do a search for wood bowls, and/or exotic wood. I have bought wood from a half a dozen different vendors on ebay that have ebay stores setup with a lot of variety at any given time. No complaints. I buy a lot from Gary in North Carolina, his store name is 'NCWOODS'. He probably has around 300 pieces of wood at any given time. He combines purchases for savings on shipping and the box arrives about two days later. Very quick. Nice guy to deal with.
Mike Hawkins
post #9 of 24 Old 11-30-2008, 12:29 AM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Mike, that bowl is awesome! That burl is very cool. How big is the bowl and what was the size of the blank to begin with? Again very nice!

John
post #10 of 24 Old 11-30-2008, 01:53 AM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful work Mike. Is it just me that the peppermill looks like a cut away. I'm sure it's an optical illusion but my brain can't put together the top half. Kinda skeletal.

Tim
post #11 of 24 Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 AM

View sander's Photo Album My Photos
Question

Did you buy the wood for the peppermill as one piece or did you glue it up?
post #12 of 24 Old 12-04-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

JDixon,
The bowl is about 6" in diameter and 4 1/2" tall. The blank was square on the bottom and only slightly bigger than what the bowl is now.

Slatron,
It's an optical illusion. The camera also tends to make them look shorter in the pics than what they are. That peppermill is just over 10" tall.

Sander,
I buy the separate pieces of wood, resaw them on the bandsaw to get thinner slices, send them through the planer to get rid of the bandsaw marks, then glue them up. When I do this, I usually make a bunch of blanks at the same time. This time is was thirteen blanks.

Mike Hawkins
post #13 of 24 Old 12-05-2008, 08:57 AM

View sander's Photo Album My Photos
Ok, that's what I have been doing. I was thinking maybe you had found a source for pre glued wood. I don't have a planer so this is a little harder for me.
post #14 of 24 Old 12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Just makin chips fly

New bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Woodsman and Woodchip,
I have seen the coffee burls along with a lot of different others on ebay. Do a search for wood bowls, and/or exotic wood. I have bought wood from a half a dozen different vendors on ebay that have ebay stores setup with a lot of variety at any given time. No complaints. I buy a lot from Gary in North Carolina, his store name is 'NCWOODS'. He probably has around 300 pieces of wood at any given time. He combines purchases for savings on shipping and the box arrives about two days later. Very quick. Nice guy to deal with.
Mike Hawkins
Thanks Mike,I have seen his site before.My only concern is that I have known folks that have bought on line and ended up getting uhh shall we say not what was advertised I would think that this guy would be pretty honest to deal with,your opinion please Thanks Ken
post #15 of 24 Old 12-05-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Ken,
I have bought an awful lot of wood from Gary at NCWOOD. He is a very good guy to buy from. I have never had a problem with him. The wood I received was always the pieces in the pictures. Now when I order from him he is always throwing in an extra piece or two. He also combines shipping for considerable savings. I use paypal to pay and the box is sitting on my porch in two days normally. I would highly recommend him.
Mike Hawkins
post #16 of 24 Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Just makin chips fly

New bowl

Thanks Mike,service means a lot to me.
Ken
post #17 of 24 Old 12-06-2008, 12:05 AM

View jwcole's Photo Album My Photos
firehawk I like your bowl, newbie question though what exactly is coffe burl, what part of the tree is it from? And your grinder is awesome.
I got your Pdf for the grinder and started to make one out of East Indian Rosewood(my wife it picked out). As soon as I turned the wax off it, it split in three places. oh well
post #18 of 24 Old 12-06-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

JW,
I don't know that much about the coffee tree, so I googled it and came up with this:
Kentucky coffeetree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A burl itself is a growth on the tree, looks like a bump growing on the tree. The grain usually runs in every different direction, which is what makes them interesting. Do a search on ebay for 'exotic wood' and you will find plenty of examples for sale. Normally it is not cheap.

You say your piece of rosewood split as soon as you started to turn it. Do you mean it developed hairline cracks, or something more severe than that. Something sounds amiss. Even if the wood were moist, it would still turn ok, but develop cracks as it dries in the next couple of days. Maybe you could write back with some details on what happened and where you got the piece of wood. Also, some pictures would help.
Mike Hawkins
post #19 of 24 Old 12-07-2008, 12:12 AM

View jwcole's Photo Album My Photos
I was told if I bought any wood that had been completely coated in wax, to remove the wax and let it breath for a few days, so it didn't really happen as I turned it, but it was overnight.
I bought the wood from Woodcraft a while back, and stored it in the house in a closet. When I got your Pdf I figured I'ld try it. I turned the wax off it and brought it back inside. The next morning I looke at it and it had 3 small cracks on one end. I was thinking about making it into a 9 or 10 in grinder if the cracks are'nt too deep.
I'm on night shift this week so I can't send pics till maybe Tues.

Jonathan
post #20 of 24 Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 AM

View 42Hickorysouth's Photo Album My Photos
Great job! Very impressive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode