Need some ideas, wooden trophies - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

View Biscobob's Photo Album My Photos
Question Wooden trophies

OK guys, I have been contacted by a local charity that would like me to make them some wooden trophies for a 5K run/walk they are holding. I have looked at some stuff on the web but haven't found anything that really peeks my creative juices so to say.
Anybody ever make any wooden trophies, they need to be primarily lathe turned since straight lines are my downfall. Was thinking something cup style maybe but I'm open to any suggestions. Need two each of small, medium and large.

A wise man once told me, "Relax and enjoy life, cause you'll never get out of here alive." RIP Dad

Last edited by Biscobob; 09-01-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
How about mushroom shaped?

Harrison, at your service!
The Following User Says Thank You to H. A. S. For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (08-11-2011)
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

LOL, knew that was coming. Actually it is the mushrooms that led them to me.

A wise man once told me, "Relax and enjoy life, cause you'll never get out of here alive." RIP Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 PM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
It would be fairly easy to make a 3" diameter base out of something like maple with a hole drilled in the center, and a decorative edge, then you could do varying lengths of another wood like walnut or cocobolo with a small tennon on each end, then think of something creative for the top, which could be anything you either buy or make that could have a hole in the bottom to insert the other side of the middle segment on. I'd be temped to buy something myself because I'm really poor at repeating patterns consistently, but the only time the trohpies will be side by side will be the day they are handed out so if they don't look exactly the same it won't be a big deal.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glidden For This Useful Post:
Biscobob (08-11-2011)
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

That's a cool idea. Actually they really like the idea that each one would be unique and NOT identical copies like the store stuff they have given out for years. Got my mind going now, TYVM

post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 12:57 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
I like Glidden's suggestion of a base plus some form of spindle turning.

There are some fantastic pieces in the AAW Gallery of Wood Art -- http://www.galleryofwoodart.org/The%20Spindle.html and click the link "View exhibit catalog" to download a PDF with loads of pix.

Some of the shapes (eg the ice cream, or the chess-pieces-on-a-branch) could be greatly simplified and still remain as elegant & desirable trophies.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
The Following User Says Thank You to duncsuss For This Useful Post:
Biscobob (08-11-2011)
post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Didn't have much time this evening to do a lot but did get a very rough miniature trophy made from some rock maple I have plenty of. Made it to go on a walnut base and thought I could get the base turned out too, until my chuck decided to take a crap on me. What I ended up with is close to what I have been thinking about but more than anything else it gave me an idea what I don't want.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Finally turning

Finally got some wood on the lathe tonight for the trophies long enough to round a few out and cut the tenons. Since the race is to raise money for the local homeless shelter and to provide housing for poverty level individuals and families I thought it fitting that the trophies be made out of the same wood used to build houses. The base will be plywood with the body made from laminated pieces of 1" pine board, all leftovers from house construction in the area.
In order to add a special touch they will be topped off with a silhouette of a house made from black walnut. I was also able to enlist the services of a friend who happens to own a laser engraver to engrave the race logo onto the trophies.
The below pic is of a small, 3 inches, mock up I made to show the organizers, roughly, what they would look like. Hoping to have them heading to the engraver early next week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode