Need More Advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Need More Advice

I'm having better luck with my practice piece of cherry that I was fretting about awhile ago.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/qu...strated-24557/

I raised the tool rest and then watched the tool tip more closely. Roughed out the straight sides with a slight flare and then started to rough out the middle. When I started the inside, I still used the right side of the gouge by leaning over the lathe and then running the tool outside to the middle. Hope you know what I'm trying to say. Going well, but the deeper I get (approx. 3") I'm having trouble thinning down the walls. At this point do you use the LEFT side of the gouge? Feels a little funning, but since I'm just learning, maybe that's the way it's done.
Also, I'm having trouble getting the inside corner square using the Right side and point of the gouge. I'm afraid if I press too hard, I might get a catch. Is this done with another tool. I have a square nose BOWL Scraper that I could see how it might work. But I first would like to get use to using a gouge if that's the way it should be done. I have pictures if any of this is unclear.
Thanks

Last edited by djg; 03-25-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Yes pics. I do use the left side of the nose of the gouge sometimes it's a little tricky (lots of catches early on). Show us pics though, it would help.

Tim
post #3 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

Here's kind of what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	22734  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Please don't take offense to this as I'm not criticizing but rather trying to help. Bowls with straight sides and a cornered bottom like that are sometimes referred to by more experienced turners as "dog bowls" (the only thing they're good for is for feeding the dog). Most people prefer bowls with more sweeping or continuous arcs. As for getting deeper, you can use the (L) edge or wing of the gouge doing a pull cut (from center to edge), just make sure the gouge is turned so the flute (open center) if pointing to almost 9 o'clock. I would recommend this video as a good reference.
I hope this helps.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #5 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 PM
This Space For Rent

You're not making it easy on yourself. If you are wanting a square sides and bottom the scrapper may be your best bet. If you want to use the gouge start by cleaning up that top edge. After that's done lay the gouge on the tool rest on it's side with the flute pointing away from you. This will help you get the cut started. Once you get the cut established you can slowly turn the flute to a more upright position and cut with the left side of the tip of the gouge. When rotating it up do it slowly otherwise like I said you'll get a catch.

Tim
post #6 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 08:17 PM
This Space For Rent

Oh yeah, you might want to turn the tool rest so that it fits into the bowl as best you can, you'll get better support.

Tim
post #7 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
Please don't take offense to this as I'm not criticizing but rather trying to help. Bowls with straight sides and a cornered bottom like that are sometimes referred to by more experienced turners as "dog bowls" (the only thing they're good for is for feeding the dog).
None Taken!
This is a scrap of wood of which I have a ton of. I started out being particular with a more traditional bowl shape, but after all the catches I had earlier, I just started turning and this is what came out. I have NO sense of style, so any comments are appreciated. I'm taking John's advice from the cited thread. Just do a bunch of practice pieces out of ordinary wood and then chuck it into the fireplace. An offering to the Woodturner's god. I wonder which one that would be?

So I guess what you're saying, that if the need for an inside corner ever arises, it can be done by using the left flute, starting in the corner and then coming out.

Thanks

Any market for wooden dog bowls?
post #8 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatron25 View Post
You're not making it easy on yourself. If you are wanting a square sides and bottom the scrapper may be your best bet.
I thought this might be a good use for a scraper, but I didn't want to take any short cuts in learning to use the gouge properly.
Thanks
post #9 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Need More Advice

You have recieved some great advice here,so I won't add any except that,at least to me there is no shame in using shortcuts ,as long as it works for you and is SAFE.I have a friend of mine that doesn't use gouges of any kind,all he uses is a scraper and his work is awesome.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #10 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 07:59 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by slatron25 View Post
... on it's side with the flute pointing away from you. This will help you get the cut started. Once you get the cut established you can slowly turn the flute to a more upright position and cut with the left side of the tip of the gouge...
Left side?

That would be at the 12 o'clock position if I start the cut with the flute facing away from me and rotate the gouge slowly counter-clockwise.

My understanding is to always cut with the edge that is lowest because it's less likely to catch. Did I get it wrong?

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #11 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
Left side?

That would be at the 12 o'clock position if I start the cut with the flute facing away from me and rotate the gouge slowly counter-clockwise.

My understanding is to always cut with the edge that is lowest because it's less likely to catch. Did I get it wrong?
cutting with the lower edge is like a scraping cut
i cant explain the correct way ant better that the other posts
i never could understand until i went and watched someone else turn

Last edited by robert421960; 03-26-2011 at 08:58 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Any market for wooden dog bowls?
One of the first bowls I sold was a pretty crappy spalted hackberry bowl that was in the "dog bowl" style. A woman came by and "had to have it" for her dog!
post #13 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
First, looks better than my first dog bowl. The dogs wouldn’t even eat out of mine.
I agree with Tim, the form makes it more difficult. A wok type form allows for a constant flow. There is no restriction on using a scraper in the bottom…seems like that is what Raffan, White, Stubbs, Keys, …ect does in these cases.
There is also no problem using the gouge in a scraping or sheer scraping cut, reference Jamieson, Grumbine….etc.

I agree your tool rest should be rotated inside the bowl for the cuts to the wall. In your picture the flute is fully open (12:00). Fully closed is the 3:00 or 9:00 position. You can rotate the flute to the 9:00 (left) position and pull from the bottom. The more open the flute is the bigger chance of a catch. At fully closed the top edge can rub slightly but it is only rubbing on the bevel, open slightly (maybe 1/16 inch) or to about 9:30. Take small cuts moving to the top edge of the bowl from the bottom.
This from Bob Hamilton (bobham5) shows a scrape/sheer scrape with flute closed. In this case the flute is at 3:00, in your case with the inside the flute will be at 9:00.
Bob has a lot (about 160) videos/segments posted and does an excellent job. Some are vary basic and some more advance.

I agree that whether or not you make a pushing or pulling cut, the top edge should be straightened out.
I think I would go with a scraper in the bottom corner. Very light cuts and of course with the tool angled down and at/above center.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaladin For This Useful Post:
djg (03-26-2011)
post #14 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00kemdano View Post
One of the first bowls I sold was a pretty crappy spalted hackberry bowl that was in the "dog bowl" style. A woman came by and "had to have it" for her dog!
You're Kidding!
post #15 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I was holding the gouge more at 10:30 with one hand and the camera with the other just to show you what I was attempting to do (explain). As far as the tool rest, I hand no problems or chatter up to this point, but I was going to reposition it if I went deeper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode