Need help please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

View kissfan's Photo Album My Photos
Need help please

Need some help. I am trying to make some rings I have seen on here. People have made them by hand but I want to turn them on the lathe I have tried but every time I get to the sanding the ring cracks and breaks. The wood I am using is cedar and oak . Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks Robbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
On rings and bracelets you have some short grain that exists at 2 points on a circular piece. These are weak and will break very easily. The solution is to laminate 2 or more pieces of wood with the grain oriented 90 degrees to each other. I usually use 3 to 5 thin pieces. Odd numbers look better.
Don't have a table saw or other way to make thin pieces. Part them off on the lathe. For a ring I would put the wood on the lathe and true up the outside holding it in a chuck. Face off the end. use a thin parting tool (I use a custom ground paring knife). Cut off a thin slice. Face off the new end. glue the pieces together with the grain 90 degrees to each other. Use the tailstock as your clamp.
When the glue is dry you can turn the ring. I use 5 minute epoxy. Don't use CA glue. We don't really know the long term holding power of this stuff. It will probably work for years but we simply don't know how many. Epoxy has been tested for a long time.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 PM

View rcwoodbutcher's Photo Album My Photos
I had some very nice results making a ring out of a solid piece of pear (it was a little green still). I just turned the OD close to what I wanted, completed the inside, then finished the outside. It was a little tricky parting it off as I don't have a very good parting tool, but it came off with a little patience.
John is correct though with the laminating pieces at perpendicular angles. The will give you a lot more strength. I do that a lot with the bracelets I do and it comes out well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

View kissfan's Photo Album My Photos
thanks i made one now just need to put a finish on it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode