Need help with a goblet. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

View dollis's Photo Album My Photos
Question Need help with a goblet.

I am looking for tips on how turn a cup with 1-2 trapped rings. I am not so sure of how to do the cup portion. Do I cut it after the rest so I can use a live center to stabilize the majority of the turning, which leaves me turning a lot with only a thin stem? On the other hand, if I cut it first with only the screws in the base (I do not have a chuck) I will not have a live center to rely on to help stabilize it and holding it in place.
Also, I am having trouble finding a few pieces of wood 4x4x12. If you have any ideas I would love to heat them. one idea i had was to get a 12x12x4 and make 4 blankes (not that it wouldnt be perfect the first time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-20-2009, 09:07 PM
WoodTurner

View vcooney's Photo Album My Photos
Take a look at this video...it's pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVIELSJsvg0

Vince
post #3 of 6 Old 02-20-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

View dollis's Photo Album My Photos
Hmmm...
4min 13 sec. i guess i can do it in 5 min then. You know a little learning curve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
I personally use a chuck but I guess you could use a face plate or glue block (donít know how safe it would be). First shape the outer part of your cup and stop when you start to turn down towards the stem leaving the stem fat for support. Then hollow out cup to desired depth and wall thickness. Then finish shaping the outer part of your cup to the stem. Standard rule of thumb on stem length is 1 to 1 Ĺ times the length of your cup. I usually turn the diameter of the stem to about a 1/2Ē down the stem. then start my captive rings. If one should break I have plenty of wood before I hit the base of my goblet. Once captive rings are free I turn the rest of the stem and the base. Once the goblet is sanded I part off and reverse chuck the goblet using the live center for support and finish off the bottom of my base. Hope this helps....Jeff

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 PM
WoodTurner

View vcooney's Photo Album My Photos
Ok...here is some step by step goblets

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...s/goblets.html

Vince
post #6 of 6 Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Just to add to what Jeff said,
once you get the cup hollowed out, sanded, and finished, you can put a small ball inside and bring your tailstock and live center up and put some pressure on the ball to help stablize the cup end of the goblet while turning the stem. You don't need a lot of pressure, just enough to keep it from vibrating. Also, if you are looking for blanks that size, try NCWoods on ebay. Just do a search on that name and it should come up. I have bought a lot of wood from him and never had a problem. Be aware that a lot of blanks that size are cut and sealed green, so they need to sit for awhile to dry out. The other thing you could do is glue up some 1x pieces of wood to get your size. Try mixing colors and you'll end up with a pretty unique goblet.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode