Need help deciding on a chuck. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Genius

View dollis's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to dollis
Question Need help deciding on a chuck.

Hello again.

Ok, I have made a few pens and I am wanting to try my hand at some other items also. Most of them look a harder so I may be bugging you for a lot of info. I was wanting to try a goblet or small bowl. but I will need a chuck for both of them(I think). I have G9247 Mini lathe.

3/4" x 16 TPI right hand spindle
5-15/16" swing over bed
3-1/4" swing over tool rest
12" between centers
M. T. #1 spindle taper and tailstock taper
1/4 H.P.

What type of chuck is economical and still do the job. Do you think that this lath will be strong enough to turn a small bowl or goblet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2009, 06:09 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
You don't need a chuck for either one. I used to turn goblets by simply mounting the blank to a faceplate. Remember where your screws are so you don't make the base too long and hit them.
When I used to turn bowls without a chuck I started them between centers. I would rough out the outside of the bowl and turn a tenon about 3" in diameter on the bottom. I would true up the outside portion of the tenon and the cut the area toward the center a little lower. Then I would remove it from the lathe and carve away the little tenon left.
Then I would put a wasteblock on the faceplate and true up the surface. I would turn the outside of the wasteblock to be the same diameter as the tenon on the bowl. Then I would glue these two together using the tenons for alignment. Your bowl is not ready to turn.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-11-2009, 08:24 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
You don't need a chuck for most things. There are ways around it, but a chuck just makes it alot easier. I have this chuck http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CMG3C.html. It comes with 3 different sets of jaws. I have mainly done bowls with it, it is a nice chuck for the money. You can also buy flat jaws for it which macks cleaning up the bottom of bowls real easy.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-11-2009, 10:29 PM

View mmtools's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Termite View Post
You don't need a chuck for most things. There are ways around it, but a chuck just makes it alot easier. I have this chuck http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CMG3C.html. It comes with 3 different sets of jaws. I have mainly done bowls with it, it is a nice chuck for the money. You can also buy flat jaws for it which macks cleaning up the bottom of bowls real easy.
This chuck should be able to do anything you ask, within the size limitations of the lathe. Would be a good choice for the money....

Mike O
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit. - Anthony Bourdain
Toolsandmachinery.com

Last edited by mmtools; 02-05-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode